Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bees Mad

Sad Bees Mad

I have six hives I requeened with Minnesota hygienic Italians. Got my queens from too different sources. Anyway three of my hives are hot, have to wear veil when out in bee back yard .And they are hitting hard. Went in and looked in hives today, always had 10 or 15 bees hitting veil the whole time, even followed me to house. What is the best way to deal with this problem? Requeen or what? Thanks

Default Re: Bees Mad

Only way I know to fix a hot hive is to requeen. I bought some Yugo queens from Honey Bee Genetics and I think they are some of the gentlest bees I've seen, they are building fast, too.

aint it sad? Bustling hive but too aggressive. I wont stand for that either, I would re queen. Seems like the only time I get stung is after a new hatch, on the hands, I do wear a veil now, but didnt at first. I will tell you, the vhs queen I got from mike at ridgetop apiaries is a solid layer and the bees are quiet. Good luck. G

Quote Originally Posted by keswickb View Post
    I have six hives I requeened with Minnesota hygienic Italians. Got my queens from too different sources. Anyway three of my hives are hot, have to wear veil when out in bee back yard .And they are hitting hard. Went in and looked in hives today, always had 10 or 15 bees hitting veil the whole time, even followed me to house. What is the best way to deal with this problem? Requeen or what? Thanks
    Use a smoker?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I smoke them. Dont no if I can find the queen in that hot box. Thinking about putting a double screen board between the two and see which one has eggs or maybe split and combine later.

what was the weather like?

If the queens in the hot hives came from different sources it might be that a skunk is bothering them at night.
    Dan

Its been in 80s and 90s humility high. The bees that are hot are from one source.

You are the best judge of what needs doing. I guess if they r too much to handle then requeening is in order. Wait a week and see. Haste makes waste.

Thanks Mark Ill wait and see what happens, Ive got 70 lbs. of honey off them this year .

Then I for sure would figure out how to put up w/ them. Move them if your family can't go out in the yard. But 70 lbs of honey is a good sized crop. That's how I see it from here. 600 miles away and all.

If you got 70 pounds of honey from 6 hives, then I agree with Sqkcrk. I would do something to get along with those bees. If my bees would produce 11+ pounds of honey per hive I would be happy to put up with a few stings.

Since a queen mates with 15 to 20 drones the hive personality could make some dramatic changes as she works through her sperm supply. Is that true? Or, does the sperm mix and every egg possibly have a different drone father? I seem to remember reading that the bees come in waves from differing drones. Any info on this?
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I moved away from MH and MH offspring because I found them too aggressive. It is easier to put up with them until the spring and then split heavily with Carniolans as the new queens. I have found their offspring to be less bothersome and quite productive.

Quote Originally Posted by keswickb View Post
    Thanks Mark Ill wait and see what happens, Ive got 70 lbs. of honey off them this year .
    I'm assuming that's per hive not 70 lbs total, is it?

{If you got 70 pounds of honey from 6 hives, then I agree with Sqkcrk. I would do something to get along with those bees. If my bees would produce 11+ pounds of honey per hive I would be happy to put up with a few stings. }

Sorry about the above post. I was thinking gallons and we were talking pounds. That would be only about one gallon per hive. We just did some extracting and I got 5 gallons from one hive and I think these are super girls. Around here we talk gallons instead of pounds. If it is 70 pounds for 6 hives then I certainly wouldn't put up with a hot hive.

Thanks every body. Had two hives coming out of winter, and made two bye cut down split and brought a nuc .Plus caught two swarms. Hive 1 hasn't made honey yet,but hive 2 , the mean girls made the 70 lbs.I put queen in there when I took old queen and for split,I think they superceded her. Im learning thats the last hive I check in the yard. Thanks Steve

If I have a particularly aggressive hive, and remember which one it is, I do it first. Then the rest of them seem all the more gentle.

The fat bee man says use staghorn sumac to calm hot hive. Anybody tried this yet?

I'm having a problem with my 2nd hive. They are very aggressive. From what I've been reading, maybe I should requeen but how the hell can you go in and find her when the bees want to 'kill' you?! I'm thinking of spending the 200 some bucks on the ultrabreeze bee suit because I so need the added protection!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast