Default Shoring up the corners on brood boxes & supers...

Was thinking (and maybe too much) that since in many cases the corners of both brood & supers (where one mostly places their hive tool to break the boxes) are perhaps the most vulnerable part of the box. So, placing a piece of flat bar 1/8"x3/4"x3"long in one corner (top & bottom) would help the boxes last longer. It would be easy to route those corners 1/8" deep and 3" long to screw the flat bar and of course the flat bar would need to have holes counter-sunk for a flat head screw. You would only need to do it one corner top & bottom & just get used to opening from that corner. Doing this would provide a place to pry w/o damaging equipments.

Any thoughts on this? What have I missed? Was just thinking of doing it on new equipment.

Larry
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Default Re: Shoring up the corners on brood boxes & supers...

It is those many years of wear on worn corners that make it easy to get your hive tool in. New unworn supers are a nuisance.
    Last edited by odfrank; 07-08-2013 at 07:49 AM.

Haha I make my own boxes on an old worn out table saw I'm never short any propolis filled gaps to pry boxes apart. But your idea sounds like it would work to prevent corner damage

Bump....