Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default how's your summer

Out west here things have been very dry, But bees are doing ok. Down south , NM, AZ, S CALif got really hot and killed lots of hives, hearts go out to those folks. Then back east I hear rain rain too much rain. How's it going in your area? Hope most of you can make a crop with these high prices, best of luck to all.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Default Re: how's your summer

Here in southern Michigan we have had an abnormally cool, rainy spring/summer and although the bees are not doing that badly on the main flow, it surely could have been twice as good with a little less rain, but its not over yet, so we're holding out hope that things will stabilize for the better the last half of the flow. John

Northern Ohio has had enough rain to float a battle ship. Last year at this time I harvest honey, this year the girls are still working the first supper.

South central Kentucky, we've had rain, and rain, then more rain. Temperatures have been very good, a little on the cool side. Bees were doing pretty good, then for the last week it hasn't stopped raining. Sun came out this afternoon and I noticed lots of bees flying once again. I really need to get into some hives if the weather will let me tomorrow. Checked 5 this afternoon. Hope to check the other 20 tomorrow if the weather holds. Been 2 weeks since they have been checked. I don't know if it is because it has been so wet but I have never seen so many ticks as I have this year. I can't walk outside without finding 2 or 3 ticks crawling around on my clothing when I come in. They are so bad every time you come in from even being in the yard you have to take a shower.

Rain, rain & more rain! Crop looked good the last time I took a peek. Now if it would just stop raining enough to get to it!

Have to admit the corn, soy & cotton are looking great!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Wink Re: how's your summer

Rain, rain, and yes day 14 of rain with little brakes. Down 40+ barrels from last year already. Between rain and colder weather looks like this year is going to be a wash. Another week of rain forecasted. Just can't cut cell fast enough. Hive looking really good, just need the weather for them to work in.

Anyone know where to buy bee raincoats????

"I have never seen so many ticks as I have this year."Abundance of those parasites here too and I notice there season is getting longer...global warming?Honey flow has just started here, weather will be the determing factor of crop size

While it is off topic, we have had a problem with ticks this year too.

Tick city in North Dakota this year too! Main flow is just getting underway but a few supers are full already. We could use a shot of rain to keep things going but we're doing pretty good considering the late spring.

In eastern NC it has been rain rain rain rain and more rain. Hot hot hot hot hot and more heat. The rain and heat has made it miserable to do anything especially working hives. It has been a humid type hot. I am also down in production. My recliner in the house has been cool and comfortable though (when the wife and my 8 year old son will let me get in it.)

It has been generally cool and really wet, until the heat of today. Basswood is budding, but no activity in the trees yet. On the whole, plants started out 3 weeks behind, about 2 weeks behind, and catching up. Should bring some honey in tomorrow.

Crazy Roland

it didn't rain last tuesday, well thats about it for the last 30 days. walking into bee yards pulling a little red wagon with three honey supers on it does tend to get old, especially when I end up having to pull them back out because the hives don't need them. Had one farmer tell me yesterday, why aren't you driving in its not that bad, I walked in, he drove in, he was pulling himself out with a tractor on my way out. still better than the drought last year.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

W/ all this rain we aught to get a lot of Water White Honey, right? lol It could stop for a while now already.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Just to add what I posted above, with all the rain there may be a benefit in that the blooming season for all the clovers, white dutch, yellow and white sweet may be extended quite a bit. I have already noticed a big difference between the last couple years and this year. Normally by now our white dutch is burned up from lack of moisture, not this year, its going crazy everywhere. And although the sweet clovers can handle drought conditions, the yellow sweet is usually done blooming by now here, and I still have never seen so much of it in bloom. The white sweet clover has been blooming for about 2 weeks and I expect a longer season from it also, along with the thistle. So, if the bees can just get out of the hive there is still a good flow going. John

The good news is the honeyflow conditions out this way have been nearly ideal. The bad news is coming off such a severe drought it isn't a huge clover year over most of the state. All things considered, though, the crop seems to be shaping up surprisingly well around here for early July. Hoping to start extracting in another week.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Should bring some honey in tomorrow.

Crazy Roland
    Bet it was only rain! I've only got a few cells of honey in my supers. Lots of activity but nothing for the supers. Another week of off and on rain here.
    Regards, Barry

Jim and Chip pretty much summed up what we are seeing too here in SW ND. Cautiously optimistic about this years crop.

Side note: Also seeing more than our fare share of ticks. I started sticking double sided tape around each leg. The ticks couldn't move up across the sticky tape. I was catching around 40 ticks a day for awhile. Yuck.

Tina

We too have been having way too much rain. Bees have been filling supers surprisingly well. They are not capping much though. I assume it is do to too much moisture. Would like to start pulling supers and extracting as we are running out of drawn supers.
    And the ticks are doing very well here also.

Here in NW lower Michigan the bees are built up and ready to make a crop,the early season was cool and wet to build up good ground moisture, then no rain since mid june. I've never seen the basswood hanging with so many buds, and the star thistle is 3-4 ft tall also in bud,the bees are rockin' on the sumac, and today an unexpected and very timely inch of rain, saw some heavy full hives ready for supers today. The stage is set for a crop, but don't count your chickens before they're hatched

Around here everything was late. Along Missouri river bluffs 50# starting with locust, into basswood, just finished with sumac. Away from the river not much off 1st. cutting, but starting to fill supers as it has warmed up bit in last week or so. We could use a good rain. SE Nebraska, NW Missouri

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast