Default Question on Mite treatment

I have a second year hive that is very strong but it is needing treated for mites. I purchased Apivar knowing that treatment was going to be necessary this year. Honey supers must be removed during this 6 week treatment. I am currently running a brood nest of 1 deep and 2 mediums. Per the instructions one strip per 5 frames of bees is to be used. I will place two in the deep but not sure which medium to place the strips in. My thought is if the honey supers are removed then the bees will likely start to store honey in to top medium currently used for the brood nest. I am not sure if I want the strips in this box or if would be better to move to the lower medium. One other thought that I had was to leave one honey super on and then transfer it to a new swarm that I have that is currently drawing out a deep. That way I could place the strips in the top medium of the brood nest. I would like to get a medium on this new hive prior to winter.

I checked the mite drop yesterday and got 10 mites in about 2 hours. Should I go ahead and treat now or would it be safe to wait another 2-3 weeks?

Thanks in advace for your feedback.

Default Re: Question on Mite treatment

Interesting question. I would put the strip in the top medium to more approximate the position it would be in for a double deep configuration. I don't use mediums so my advice is at best a guess. I have no qualms about having the strips on as the bees store honey for wintering.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dewey View Post
    Interesting question. I would put the strip in the top medium to more approximate the position it would be in for a double deep configuration. I don't use mediums so my advice is at best a guess. I have no qualms about having the strips on as the bees store honey for wintering.
    What strips are you using?

Please keep in mind:

The number 2 rule in beekeeping:

Just cause they sell 'em does not mean they will work (as advertised).

Apirvar strips are being used.

Apivar = Amitraz = newly licensed product for the US. If any of the heavy duty mite chemicals ought to work, Apivar is the one that should kill mites - at least for the next year or two. Standard mite treatment rules apply: read and follow the label instructions, know your mite counts before and after treatment, and don't gather any honey for human consumption while Apivar is on the hive. 42 day treatment.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Bumping this back up for more comments.