I have a second year hive that is very strong but it is needing treated for mites. I purchased Apivar knowing that treatment was going to be necessary this year. Honey supers must be removed during this 6 week treatment. I am currently running a brood nest of 1 deep and 2 mediums. Per the instructions one strip per 5 frames of bees is to be used. I will place two in the deep but not sure which medium to place the strips in. My thought is if the honey supers are removed then the bees will likely start to store honey in to top medium currently used for the brood nest. I am not sure if I want the strips in this box or if would be better to move to the lower medium. One other thought that I had was to leave one honey super on and then transfer it to a new swarm that I have that is currently drawing out a deep. That way I could place the strips in the top medium of the brood nest. I would like to get a medium on this new hive prior to winter.
I checked the mite drop yesterday and got 10 mites in about 2 hours. Should I go ahead and treat now or would it be safe to wait another 2-3 weeks?
Thanks in advace for your feedback.