Hybrid View

Default Metal versus Plastic on entrance excluders

I know I saw a metal entrance excluder/protector somewhere but cannot find it now.

Then will looking I decided why not ask the experts what they think of those round excluders that can be used to completely close off the entrance, have a worker slot and a drone slot (I think that is what the third entrance is).

Are these worth while devices or they something that don't really work well?

And what are the pro and cons of the plastic versus metal ones?

Seems like the plastic would likely get brittle in the sunlight after a few years (depending on type of plastic).

If the metal ones are cheap tin or poor galvanized, they likely will not last long either.

What does the folks here think?

Default Re: Metal versus Plastic on entrance excluders

I use them on nucs that do not have a lower entrance and so need the hole behind the disc to get in and out. Plastic ones are all I've ever used. I'm in season three with some and no problems. My issue is that after a good rain I have water in the bottom of my nuc and no way for it to get out. So either my cover isn't any good or there is water making it's way through the entrance hole. The discs are very convenient for closing off the nuc for transport. I have them either wide open or fully closed. I've not had a need for any of the intermediate settings.

Having said all of the above, I doubt I will buy any more.
    Last edited by Andrew Dewey; 07-07-2013 at 02:16 PM.

I use the round metal ones on my mating nucs. I have 150 on order from Mann Lake right now. They are really handy.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Broke-T - So you are the reason they are out of stock. hehehe'

Just kidding, thanks for the info. I didn't see them earlier today when I was looking. Will probably order some this week.

Thanks again.