Default Good time for honey super ?

I've had a second deep on a strong first year nuc now for 25 days and they have it 80 % drawn with alot of honey ( syrup ) and pollen , didn't see any brood , not sure what to do at this point , do I put a honey super on ? I could move some drawn frames up to the honey super and put some empty new frames with wax down to the top brood box to make room for the queen to lay , seems like she must be in the bottom box still .

Default Re: Good time for honey super ?

Wasn't sure what to do , went ahead and added a honey super , so do I have to remove syrup so it doesn't get in the honey or can I leave it on until they get some drawn comb.

Not sure what the status of the nectar flow is in Penn but if its still strong then you could probably quit feeding. You definitely don't want sugar water honey! Even a light flow will help them build comb.

If you have some frames of drawn comb then I would make sure those are in my super to stimulate them to move up and work the super.

The queen will move up when she runs out of room in the lower box...make sure she has some empty comb to work with though. If they fill all the comb in the upper brood she could get "honey bound".

I've been in this hive two times today , should I move some drawn comb from the top deep up to the honey super and put some new wax foundation in the top deep .If so can or should I wait a day or two , don't want to piss them off.

My apologies for not answering fully before...

Are you running deeps for your honey supers? If so moving the frames of foundation down and drawn comb up would be fine until they stop drawing comb. However, if they keep filling the upper brood box with honey then you may be forced to extract some frames so you'll have plenty of drawn comb for the queen when she does finally move up.

I run medium supers for my honey and deeps for the girl's stash. Deeps full of honey are way heavier than I want to lug around.

As for making them mad, they'll get over it; but if I find issues with a hive that I need to address and I'm to prepared to handle it right then, I'll wait until the next day.

No apologies needed on your part, I appreciate your help , your right I am running deep brood boxes and medium honey supers I got ahead of myself !! So I can't give them any drawn comb . Seems like I don't have any choice but to stop feeding just wondered if its possible to leave the syrup on for a few days or week to help them draw comb. or could I end up with syrup in the honey . Thanks

Hey guys I'm really stumped here again !!! , when adding a honey super your suppose to stop feeding so you don't get syrup in the honey, but with new foundation they need syrup to draw comb ! Can't have it both ways , should I feed for a week to help them out or take the feed away altogether .

They can use syrup or nectar. It's a carefully combination between syrup and nectar ...if you hit a nectar flow and they're getting syrup too, they can backfill the brood's nest quickly and then swarm ...don't ask me how I know that.

If they're finding nectar, then they can still build comb.

Will they get syrup in the honey if I leave it available . The problem I have is not knowing for sure when there is a flow on , how do I know . If there is a flow in my area I might try stopping the syrup .

Oh yes, if you leave it on you'll get sugar syrup honey.

If they have honey already, hold off on the syrup for a few days and see how they maintain their stores - if it increases, you got a flow ..if not, then stick the syrup back on.

Bees will normally choose nectar over sugar syrup. The fact that they're taking syrup may indicate your flow is over. Ours is. They're still bringing in a little, but its no flow. Since your honey is mixed with syrup, maybe you should leave it all for the bees.
    I'm a little curious...if the nuc (5 frame?) is strong, I wonder why your queen didn't move up to the second deep? You may want to check out the lower deep and see how your queen is laying.

I didn't see her on my last inspection , I only checked the top deep and it was 80% drawn so I added a med super . I've seen this on two of my hives now, the stronger ones , I'll be pulling my feeder jars out in a top feeder in an empty med. and the bees just boil right up acting like there crowded , on the last one they came right up and one nailed my glove , I might be all wrong and overreacting but it seemed like they needed more room .The real strong hive is taking 2 quarts a day of syrup . They have been fed from the start on June 1st . I hope I'm not messing them up.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    I hope I'm not messing them up.
    That's been my feeling since day one of beekeeping!

Glad I'm not the only one !! I guess you can't get to excited about them or it would drive you crazy !! Wish I could figure out when there is a good flow and when there isn't .

My 2nd brood chamber is only 30% capped brood. All the rest of the cells are capped honey from sugar syrup. Should I place a HS on top and discontinue the feed?