Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Article About Beekeeping

6K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Acebird 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Interesting article. But Barry the Beekeeper says a lot of very foolish things.

Colony Collapse Disorder accounts for only a sliver of bee deaths over the past few years, and as long as one guards responsibly against known mites and viruses, Barry insists there’s no reason to lose more than 2 or 3 percent of a hive each winter.
He seems to be one of those fanatical my way or the highway guys. He rails viciously against hobby beekeepers, and at the same time derives much of his income from selling bees to those very same ignorant bee-killing yuppies. He says that unlike hobby beekeepers, commercial beekeepers aren't killing their bees, ignoring some of the massive losses many commercial beekeepers have been having. He says that commercial and hobby beekeepers hate each other passionately. That seems to be a clear case of projecting one's personal biases on everyone else. I only know a couple of commercial beekeepers, but both are very nice, good-hearted, helpful persons. Many of the commercial beekeepers I know only through this forum are the same.

I would guess that in his mind, successful treatment free beekeepers are much like Santa Claus and flying saucers.

God save us from the Absolutely Certain.

#5 ·
Interesting article. But Barry the Beekeeper says a lot of very foolish things.

He seems to be one of those fanatical my way or the highway guys. He rails viciously against hobby beekeepers, and at the same time derives much of his income from selling bees to those very same ignorant bee-killing yuppies. He says that unlike hobby beekeepers, commercial beekeepers aren't killing their bees, ignoring some of the massive losses many commercial beekeepers have been having. He says that commercial and hobby beekeepers hate each other passionately. That seems to be a clear case of projecting one's personal biases on everyone else. I only know a couple of commercial beekeepers, but both are very nice, good-hearted, helpful persons. Many of the commercial beekeepers I know only through this forum are the same.

I would guess that in his mind, successful treatment free beekeepers are much like Santa Claus and flying saucers.

God save us from the Absolutely Certain.
Keep in mind that a Reporter, "an MFA candidate in creative nonfiction", wrote the article, so somethings are the way the reporter phrased what he heard.

#4 ·
I agree that the varroa mite has a lot to do with the health of every ones bee yard I don't want to say to much being only 4 year beekeeper .
I lost 5 strong hives last year to varroa and they all where year+ old hives all the hives I made last year are doing great and my mite load is super low. I been fogging with FGMO /4.9 cell in most my brood boxes /1 brood break / and drone frame in some hives not all/ seems to be doing well . I had 10 hives going in to spring and they all are doing well and I got a lot of honey and made 13 nucs so far and have 4 queens banked .
Last year I was seeing sick bees on the ground by this time plus I was seeing DFWV and I have seen only one bee with DFWV this year in that was in MAY and only 1. This year no dying bees in front of my hive what a great year my best one yet and I contribute that to low mite loads .
And I think some people that lose hives to varroa blame CCD

#6 ·
I was started into beekeeping by a retired commercial beekeeper. He is a great guy, running monthly free field workshops and being very encouraging to any and all beekeepers. Still, it was an interesting article and shows the divisions that can happen. My local bee club is great and includes active participation by everyone from single hive hobbyists like me to commercial beekeepers. Love it.

#8 ·
"Do you understand this level of hostility?" rhaldridge

No, not at all. I also found his interaction with his wife illuminating and sad.The Hobbyist and C ommercial folk on this forum are not like Barry and friends.

#9 ·
I read the first couple paragraphs, down to where it says he's got a Confederate flag on his car, and decided the article might be too long for my short attention span.

However I'll say this. Beekeeping attracts all sorts and despite that we may or may not like someone's attitudes, they can still be perfectly fine beekeepers. I'll learn from anyone. Just have to forget what about them we don't like & focus on what's useful.

One quote from the article, that I didn't get to in the article but have pasted from RHAldridges quote, is "We just see all the time that who they are prevents them from being good beekeepers. If they don’t think ahead, if they’re procrastinators, if they’re—​it’s almost like bee-​keeping’s the perfect spiritual mirror". That is true, I don't know which sector of beekeepers he was talking about but I do think a persons bees can tell you a bit about the person.

When I've got more time I'll read the whole article, if I've got the whole thing wrong by reading only the posts here I'll come back and say so.

#11 ·
Yes, good point. I've been interviewed a few times for bee articles and am now very reluctant to do it, because of the way they screw around with what I said, the article can be an embarrassment although only another beekeeper would pick it.

I've read the whole thing about Barry, all up, he's not quite the fire breathing Nazi that some may think. Seems like he is strongly opinionated, so much so that it frustrates him to see new beekeepers buying his bees then not treating them how he would, and as a result, losing them. He's obviously an alpha male personality. If I met him I'm sure we would both enjoy the day but I would likely keep some opinions to myself LOL! But hey I'm used to doing that, having to hang with new agers, top bar keepers etc who can also be unable to handle other opinions. ;)

To those who have taken it hard that he and someone else discussed the possibility of hobbyists destroying the beekeeping industry, I've seen opinions expressed by hobbyists that commercial beekeepers will wipe bees from the face of the earth. Isn't that the same thing in reverse? Why be offended? No need.

Me, I think bees are more resilient than that, neither sector will exterminate them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.