Exclamation How can I prevent bee damage from drift of Entrust (spinosad)?

Got an e-mail tonight that Entrust (spinosad) is going to be applied in the next few days to a potato field next to where I have bees on an organic farm. The farm manager tells me that Entrust is permitted under their organic certification and that they use it annually on their potatoes to control Colorado Potato Beetle grubs. The potato field this year happens to be less than 50 feet away from my bees.

According to the Entrust label - Entrust is toxic to bees for up to three hours after the application. Screening the bees so that they aren't in the potato field is easy enough (darn those attractive weeds!) - Is there anything I should do to help the hives avoid damage from drift? Pulling the bees from the yard completely could be done but is an option I would hope to pursue only as a last resort.

I am working with a new farm manager this year and so far things are cordial - I'd like to keep it that way.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Default Re: How can I prevent bee damage from drift of Entrust (spinosad)?

I would pull your bees. The drift is one thing...the bees fanning and sucking that crap in is another. You don't care about your foragers....It is the bees sucking that junk into the colony that is a concern. I would yank them. JMO! Yanking your bees for a few days should be understood by the farmer, and not hurt your relations. (Guess we learn more and more about "organic" every day!)

Move them out for a week then move them back.

Split the difference...sort of. Move all of them but one. Next year the decision will be easier.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I haven't been in a situation with potential drift from insecticides. But, once the hives are screened, if you have water available at that location, set up a sprinkler so the water spray from the sprinkler encompasses the hive area (without getting water inside the hives). The water from the sprinkler should deal with possible insecticide drift.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

>Split the difference...sort of. Move all of them but one. Next year the decision will be easier.

I'd vote for that one...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

the label says that 3 hours is the exclusion time. ask the applier to do so very early am or just before dark. or find out when they will spray and confine your bees for 3 hours. bees don't work potatoes much.

I vistited the site today and fed syrup and pollen sub to the colonies ahead of screening. Potatoes are blooming - as are a number of weeds that the bees are working, so if I didn't screen the bees in, they'd be in the field. The hives while close to the field are separated by a massive tree and an embankment. So as long as the spraying is done ok, the bees should be fine. I will screen the bees for 24 hours - the long duration is for my convenience as I live 1.5 hours away from this yard. I talked with the farm manager this afternoon - the weather is not conducive to spraying tomorrow so I'll get to sleep at least until 5:00. Yes! Thanks everyone for your suggestions!
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com