Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Odd Bear Behavior?

Actually Ray you are on the Adirondacks side of Rt 11, so you are closer to The Park. I don't put anything your side of Rt 11 because of bears. Sorry.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Actually Ray you are on the Adirondacks side of Rt 11, so you are closer to The Park. I don't put anything your side of Rt 11 because of bears. Sorry.
    Well, rats. I guess I was thinking that Brasher Falls is further east than I am. I'm only 9 miles from Potsdam by road. So south of 11 is bear country? Is that true closer to town?

I hope I didn't leave a nice picanic for Yogi.

(edit) Hey I did that radius around point map thing, and Brasher Falls is 15 miles from the Blue Line and I'm 12.

Again, rats.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    Well, rats. I guess I was thinking that Brasher Falls is further east than I am. I'm only 9 miles from Potsdam by road. So south of 11 is bear country? Is that true closer to town?

I hope I didn't leave a nice picanic for Yogi.
    Good fences make good neighbors.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Concerning ethics of aversion therapy for bears, I thinks it's very ethical the level of pain involved is certainly not damaging.

And given that the alternative should the bear strike a second time will involve an ounce and a quarter 12 ga. slug, I certainly consider it the more humane alternative.

If any think those actions too draconian, ask yourself, if a bear were rampaging through *your* place of business, destroying stock, if you couldn't justify protecting your means of providing for your family in like manner.

Because until something changes in the local economy or the injury preventing me working what was formerly my trade, the bees are it.

Thanks again for the insight

Bravo, I just finished constructing a fence today where i prepare to move a hive amongst clover, buckwheat and alfalfa blossoms tommorrow. I hope the fuzzy leaves me alone, but if not, it will be trouble. I have done my part to deter them by my actions today. I know of no other actions I could do. I figure, a little pop on the nose, listen or dont. The first is your best option mr Bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Beregondo View Post

And given that the alternative should the bear strike a second time will involve an ounce and a quarter 12 ga. slug, I certainly consider it the more humane alternative.
    Are you allowed to kill nuisance bears, or will they haul you off to jail for doing so?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    No, I'd just be as frustrated as those in Elmira. I know we've had this discussion before, where it was certain birds eating bees. Regardless of what "your" bee pest is, we all have them and should work towards a solution that preserves both. One persons "pest" is another persons "pet."
    I agree. We can co-exist with the bears. My hives are in my backyard, I have non-lethal shot for stinging and scaring bears away. I load shotgun shells with airsoft bb's. stings but causes no damage.

Quote Originally Posted by rhaldridge View Post
    Are you allowed to kill nuisance bears, or will they haul you off to jail for doing so?
    I wouldn't be shooting at a nuisance bear, but one destroying livestock.
    There's a big difference.

I know I have a right to defend my livestock from marauding animals.
    I think the state recognizes that right.

If not the right still exists, though there may a penalty for being discovered exercising it.