Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I make bee related videos occasionally: Wooden Honey Extractor with Treadmill Motor

https://youtu.be/5ibihWZ2JTchttps://youtu.be/5ibihWZ2JTc

I simply wouldn't be able to afford keeping bees if I simply went out and paid retail for all the various equipment and hardware; I still cant believe how expensive motorized extractors are. This video is more informative than entertaining but maybe it'll prove useful to someone out there wanting to build their own for practically the cost of shipping on a retail version.
    Last edited by Socrates; 09-24-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Default Re: I make bee related videos occasionally: Wooden Honey Extractor with Treadmill Mot

Very cool! Just the other day my son said he wants to make me a wooden honey spinner. He's like you, he likes to make his own mechanical machines, and take things apart to get motors and then re-use them for other things. I am going to show him your channel. Nice job!

Not bee-related, but you might like to check out the "woodgears" youtube channel--he makes all sorts of machines from wood, too.

Default Re: I make bee related videos occasionally: Wooden Honey Extractor with Treadmill Mot

That is awesome! My only question is....how hard is it to clean out and how long will it last? Won't the wood harbor insects and bacteria?
    zone 5b
    Beginning beekeeping www.beekhq.com

I like it! Very clever.
    I also like that hive body sitting on the floor. You made that, too? Great work.

Haha, I've been subscribed to Matt Wandel's channel for a few years now he's definitely one of my top 5 YouTubers. One day I'm doing to download and build his pantorouter design! Even looked up his wooden pulley wheel process when I was trying to figure out this extractor build.

I really don't see an issue as far as this being less or more sanitary than a stainless steal one; the honey sits in wood frames in wooden boxes anyway.My only real concern was not knowing exactly what kind of glue was used in the plywood but that's really not a big issue as the faces don't have any on them . I even know someone that makes their entire hive and frames out of the stuff, as a retired chemist she didn't seem to have any qualms about it. The entire interior surfaces are coated in thick painted on layer of beeswax. I let the bees clean it out my last extraction and before I use it again I wipe the inside with a damp soapy cloth, rinse with water, let dry and start putting frames in.

Thanks Arnie, I also made those but I've since regretted putting so much work into them because it means an equal amount of work when I want more supers. However I do think I have two of the best looking hives out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    I really don't see an issue as far as this being less or more sanitary than a stainless steal one; the honey sits in wood frames in wooden boxes anyway.My only real concern was not knowing exactly what kind of glue was used in the plywood but that's really not a big issue as the faces don't have any on them . I even know someone that makes their entire hive and frames out of the stuff, as a retired chemist she didn't seem to have any qualms about it. The entire interior surfaces are coated in thick painted on layer of beeswax. I let the bees clean it out my last extraction and before I use it again I wipe the inside with a damp soapy cloth, rinse with water, let dry and start putting frames in.
    Plywood and OSB adhesives are usually urea formaldehyde or similar chemicals. When they're fresh they can release formaldehyde. http://www.tecotested.com/techtips/p...dehydeemission

I don't know how wood does as a sanitary surface for honey extraction. There was a study done on wooden cutting boards about 20 years or so ago that was an absolute surprise. Most public health laws prohibited using wooden cutting boards in restaurants and butcher shops on the assumption that it harbored bacteria. Finally, somebody decided to do the test to prove it. What they found was the opposite. This triggered a round of testing by skeptics, who confirmed the finding. For some reason, wooden surfaces tend to kill bacteria, and they tend to have lower counts than plastic cutting boards. But I think the rule against wooden cutting boards stands.

Maybe those old time butchers with wooden (butcher block) chopping tables knew what they were doing.

very cool video. I was thinking of getting a hand crank ss one and adding a motor. I would have a concern with the wood. yeah they are in frames and boxes but sealed not contacting the wood. not so much the glue in the plywood but just the wood itself. you can coat in beeswax but it will wear off. esp in areas that are rubbed. I'd be less worried with a real tough wood like ipe or hard maple. your proof of concept def works. I think you could find a round tub of plastic to make it work with that set up . sure will be easier to clean as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    Maybe those old time butchers with wooden (butcher block) chopping tables knew what they were doing.
    Naw, they just didn't have plastic... depending on your definition of "old time" of course. Can't beat a good piece of wood for a cutting block/board.

"Camcote" is an epoxy like paint used to coat wood and it is food grade.
    I believe Mann Lake and others carry Camcote.

Not bad...
    I would like to see the threaded rod replaced with a stainless shaft and plastic flange bushing put in the bottom for a bearing and seal. As long as you are making it yourself you could make a basket that supports the comb so you could spin them radially if you wanted to. The treadmill should of had a control to vary the speed. Is there a reason why you didn't use it?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Quote Originally Posted by Dabbler View Post
    "Camcote" is an epoxy like paint used to coat wood and it is food grade.
    I believe Mann Lake and others carry Camcote.
    I bought CamCote from Brushy Mountain last year. I thought it would be more epoxy-like but it seems more like a urethane varnish. I used it to seal my top feeders. Works OK but it took about 2 days to cure and it smelled of fresh varnish for a couple of weeks, so apply it well ahead of time. They sell this product for coating the insides of honey-processing equipment.

What's bad about the honey coming in contact with wood? Personally I'd prefer it over a synthetic polymer epoxy or polyethylene plastic I'd even consider it a selling point if from comb to bottle the honey never came in contact with anything of the kind.
    Last edited by Socrates; 09-24-2015 at 08:27 AM.

Going to have to coat that with something for sure. That's some ingenuity, though, and good craftsmanship!

Out of curiosity how long did it take to make? If you talked about that in your video I apologize. No sound.

I have my grandpa's old two frame hand spun extractor. Frankly a motor on an extractor that small seems a waste unless you physically cannot do the cranking. I think a homemade basket inside of a food grade drum would be much better option. While you are correct that honey sits inside wooden frames and wooden boxes you're forgetting that the honey sits inside wax cells inside of wooden frames and wooden boxes. You'll have to scrape the honey off of that plywood and you'll get all sorts of bits of wood/dust and possibly plywood adhesive.

What's bad about the honey coming in contact with wood. Personally I'd prefer it over a synthetic polymer epoxy or polyethylene plastic I'd even consider it a selling point if from comb to bottle the honey never came in contact with anything of the kind.
    That's plywood, right? You understand that it's not just solid wood. Plywood is a pretty nasty product. Better than it was years ago, but nasty nonetheless.

Honey soaks into wood a little bit too. Especially unsealed wood. And that rough surface isn't going to let it flow every well out of the extractor.
    But more than anything... you will never get all of the honey out out of/off of that wood. Which means it will not really be clean from extracting session to extracting session. I have plywood tops that had a little syrup leak on them and they still look wet a year later because they're stained. Earwigs and ants love that kind of stuff.

Maybe you could somehow seal it with beeswax? That may be an option, but not sure how well that would work/hold up.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Not bad...
    I would like to see the threaded rod replaced with a stainless shaft and plastic flange bushing put in the bottom for a bearing and seal. As long as you are making it yourself you could make a basket that supports the comb so you could spin them radially if you wanted to. The treadmill should of had a control to vary the speed. Is there a reason why you didn't use it?
    The treadmill I pick up off the curb on trash night didn't have an electrically controlled speed. It was a mechanical mechanisms where by turning a crank the motor moved changing drive belt tension causing two plates that form the motor shaft pulley wheel to come together or spread apart. This effectively changes the size of the pulley wheel and rpms. I chose to keep it simple; I had thought about making a radial basket that supported the comp but that would have required more wood, time and hardware to build.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Going to have to coat that with something for sure. That's some ingenuity, though, and good craftsmanship!

Out of curiosity how long did it take to make? If you talked about that in your video I apologize. No sound.
    All interior surfaces were sanded, dust removed with a tack cloth and had multiple coats of hot beeswax applied. The first coat of wax seemed to soak into the wood quite a bit. The design itself is rather straight forward the extractor took a weekend to complete. Disassembling and mounting the motor went much quicker than I would have thought mainly because I didn't have to make a complicated mount; I used the one on the treadmill and it took about a day.
    Last edited by Socrates; 09-24-2015 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    you're forgetting that the honey sits inside wax cells inside of wooden frames and wooden boxes.
    You're forgetting that you uncap the frames and spin them in an extractor. Honey covers the wood in the process and I don't know anybody that cleans the frames for reuse ever.
    Brian Cardinal

All interior surfaces were sanded, dust removed with a tack cloth and had multiple coats of hot beeswax applied. The first coat of wax seemed to soak into the wood quite a bit.
    At least you're taking steps to keep the honey from direct contact with the wood. I'd think that would help remedy a lot of the soaking and cleanup issue, but you'll have to be somewhat gentle with the cleanup obviously with the softer coating. Good luck and let us know how it works. I'd like to see a video of it in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    You're forgetting that you uncap the frames and spin them in an extractor. Honey covers the wood in the process and I don't know anybody that cleans the frames for reuse ever.
    Who is storing their honey in unsealed plywood containers or extracting into unsealed plywood containers? That's the real question. And the bees clean the frames, Ace. And I don't know how you're extracting but my frames are certainly not "covered". In fact they're pretty clean and dry after extracting other than some residue where it might have dripped during the uncapping process. Not to mention that dry pine is different than a bunch of layers of wood glued together... surely you understand this, right?

The OP has absolutely no worries about his extractor and basket made of wood be it fir, pine, maple or beach. Honey and propolise have antibacterial qualities. For many years wine presses, and cider presses were made with wooden parts and no one ever sterilized them after use. My wife has a dozen wooden spoons and spatulas that we use all the time. None of them are wax coated or urethaned or have any coating on them what so ever. All he needs to do is rinse the extractor and basket with water and make sure it stays dry. I would prefer he replace the threaded rod because it will corrode and chew up the wood at the bearing surfaces. That is about all he needs to do.
    Brian Cardinal

Are your wife's wooden spoons (presumably made in a facility designed to make things for use with food) made of commercially available plywood? Can you antibacterial away all the nasty stuff used in plywood manufacture?
    You can smell the stuff off gassing when you walk around a lumber yard.

You're (purposefully) missing the point.

Have you ever been in a plastic injection molding plant? Some of the fumes can literally kill you. People sell honey in plastic containers. Have you ever been in a paper mill? At the digester end it is enough to gag you and make your eyes water yet many food items are packed in paper container like milk. The point is outgassing occurs rapid at the start and goes to almost nothing in a relatively short time span. You are not worried about the glue you put on your frames are you?
    Brian Cardinal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast