Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Honey Prices 2013

I've been doing really well with the Muth jars, too. Gift shops and craft stores have been paying $8.50 for 1lb, 5.50 for 8oz and 3.50 for 4oz. Mostly I sell 16oz inverted plastic squeeze for $7 ($5 wholesale). It worked out perfectly. I sold the last of it the day I did my first extraction this summer.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

1 pound invertible squeeze $6. Larger sizes a little less per pound smaller a little more. Try to average $6. Pint of chunk is $8 which is a steal with the work it takes but not real popular here. Do it mostly for a few loyal customers who want it.

Last year - $10/lb in inverted bottles. This year the price is going to $12.
    Capitalist Pig

$15 per pint all day long. No complaints and plenty of repeat business.

I'm getting $12 a lb in muth jars. I'm marketing it treatment free honey. It's gone over well enough that I sold out my crop this year in a weekend. I'm hoping we get a fall flow this year.

Like the answer "to this thead" but those prices are fair to me for the raw stuff.

I am getting $10 for a half pint, which is 12 oz. I won't lower my price, since last year I sold out before fall. If I sell a case (12 jars) to a store I sell it for $8.00 a jar. Cash up front.

If I understood the futures price of honey in bee culture. The current is about 6( wholesale) and. Fall is 9.50. But I don't know how those are arrived at

I have cases of one pound Muth jars in transit right now (So cute!!). Im going to sell them for 15 bucks. After those sell Ill fill pint mason jars and sell those for an undecided premium (still not harvested, so ya never know).

This is my first harvest with excess honey to sell in 3 years of beekeeping so Im selling it at a premium price. Raw, pure, untreated, local honey. Hard work for the bees. Perfect, complete food from nature. I value it highly. And the people I know also do. Remember, there's a new "local food" movement on and educated people will pay for a quality product.

If no one wants this precious commodity at my prices then Ill keep it for my large family.

But, happily, their lining up already and it isnt even in the jars.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I have a commercial beekeeper just north of me, keeps the price in check around here. We are in the 6.00/lb range, I find that to be a good price, now if I can just figure out how to get my bee's to produce 200lb a hive.
    Is he trucking his bees around the country to pollinate the US flows? If he is, then you dominate the market with your local honey. You could charge more.

I have never charged before as this has been a hobby. However my costs have gone up as the number of hives increase and the glass jars I use are expensive. I bottle everything in jars that hold about 9 ounces and now that I am going to sell it I will be charging $10.00. I doubt I will ever amortize the cost of the hives, the Maxant spinner, and a new uncapping machine I just ordered. I am a business man and in my opinion I would need a lot of hives about a 100 or more before making a dent on equipment. Even a t a high price of $10 for 9 ounces, its a loss. Now that I have been giving it free everyone expects it to be free.

What is the weight of a quart jar of honey?

Quote Originally Posted by mbcpa View Post
    What is the weight of a quart jar of honey?
    3 pounds not including the jar.

I just hit a farmers market last night in NJ and about 6.50 a pound at two different stands. I will have excess this year and am looking at ways to sell.

Last year I sold .5 pints for $4 and full pints for $8., sold out fast. This year I got Queenline jars so I am selling half pound jars for $4 and full pound Jars for $8. Did not get the crop I expected due to each of my two hives that survived winter swarming about 3 times. Still have the goldenrod flow to come in and it looks like it may be a good one.

What do people get selling in big cities such as Chicago? I'm willing to sell to restaurants if that will get me more money.

The restaurants that have approached me are used to buying buckets wholesale for around $150-175 for 60 lbs.
    Politics is the entertainment branch of industry. -Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by woodedareas View Post
    I have never charged before as this has been a hobby. However my costs have gone up as the number of hives increase and the glass jars I use are expensive. I bottle everything in jars that hold about 9 ounces and now that I am going to sell it I will be charging $10.00. I doubt I will ever amortize the cost of the hives, the Maxant spinner, and a new uncapping machine I just ordered. I am a business man and in my opinion I would need a lot of hives about a 100 or more before making a dent on equipment. Even a t a high price of $10 for 9 ounces, its a loss. Now that I have been giving it free everyone expects it to be free.
    Well you already know the error of your ways in giving it away at first so I won't hound you on it. You will just have to market to a larger audience than friends and family and those people will be willing to for the value you are giving. As for making beekeeping a profitable endeavor I think it's about slowly scaling up and make the bees pay for themselves thru either honey or bee sales. I didn't get an extractor till the bees paid for it. You just have to figure out what is in greater demand in your area: Honey or bees and set your operation up accordingly. Probably easier to make money with your bees if you have limited resources, because you can't just go out and buy stuff willy nilly and have a ton of $$ invested before the bees are ready to pay for.

Everyone's market for Honey is different and everyone's Honey is different as it comes from different sources. Use some marketing skills and get all your Honey is worth. Market it as LOCAL which it is. If you sell out quickly, raise your price a little you might be surprised and get more money for your Honey. Would that make you mad? You can always come down on the price if it doesn't sell.

$7 for 12oz jars.

These same jars are then retailed by our wholesale accounts for $10 and $12 a jar. We can't keep it in stock at our retail locations.

We focus on retail stores that Foodies shop at, they will pay the higher prices for quality honey.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast