Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Honey Prices 2013

What is everyone's retail Honey prices

pint $12
    Quart $20
    Gallon $60

or

$8 lb for smaller quanities.

These were our prices last year and sold out as soon as we extracted.

Default Re: Honey Prices 2013

I get $10/lb. bottled and $6/lb in 5 gal buckets.

This will be out first real honey crop (~400 lbs) and I have the following containers:

2oz sample/gift bear - $2.50
    8oz glass and plastic - $5
    1lb glass and plastic - $8
    2lb glass and plastic - $15

None of those prices are set in stone yet, I still have a day or so before bottling to watch this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I get $10/lb. bottled and $6/lb in 5 gal buckets.
    Prices like that wouldn't fly around here, that's great if you can get that kind of money for your product and sell lots of it. John

1/2 pint =5.00
    pint=8.50
    Quart=15.00
    I sell 1/2 pints the most .
    I'm glad to finally have honey took 4 years but I have honey and bee's everywere hopefully I can ad nucs to that list next spring.
    Having a great bee year.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 15 hives==== T{OAV}

Those prices seem high, but when you start figuring the amount you have invested in both money, and time honey is still way under priced.

I get $10.00/LB. net wt. No matter the size I price it so that it equals $10/ lb. net wt.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Lucky you!

Current in grocery store retail around here, bottled by the beek down the road a couple miles, is $4 a pound. I can't see getting more than that.

Peter

Prices at the farmers market...there are 4 other honey sellers there
    1/2 pint.......5.00
    Pint............8.00
    quart..........15.00
    gallon.........55.00
    Price at home and church is a couple of dollars less

I have a commercial beekeeper just north of me, keeps the price in check around here. We are in the 6.00/lb range, I find that to be a good price, now if I can just figure out how to get my bee's to produce 200lb a hive.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Prices like that wouldn't fly around here, that's great if you can get that kind of money for your product and sell lots of it. John
    I sold out in December this year. Getting lots of calls for honey right now. Haven't started extracting yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I have a commercial beekeeper just north of me, keeps the price in check around here. We are in the 6.00/lb range, I find that to be a good price, now if I can just figure out how to get my bee's to produce 200lb a hive.
    $6.00/lb is a reasonable price. The commercial guy probably sells bottled honey at a wholesale price, don't you think? What is the retail price found on grocery store shelves? Price yours a little higher.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    I sold out in December this year. Getting lots of calls for honey right now. Haven't started extracting yet.
    Have you raised your prices yet? Do so before you start selling this years crop.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    $6.00/lb is a reasonable price. The commercial guy probably sells bottled honey at a wholesale price, don't you think? What is the retail price found on grocery store shelves? Price yours a little higher.
    He works the farmers markets also, 7.00 on one pound bottle. I never planed on getting rich on bee's, it is nice to have a hobby with some return. If I were to make a living at it may be a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
    I have a commercial beekeeper just north of me, keeps the price in check around here.
    Don't let someone elses price influence your price decisions. You probably are selling from a Farmer Mtk or your own stand or by word of mouth, aren't you? If so, then your market is people who want your honey. I think you should be able to sell your honey at a higher price than your commercial neighbor. You don't need to sell it all in a hurry. You'll sell the higher priced honey at a slower rate, but you will glean more profit.

That being said your price should be equal to or higher.

I just check thier web site 6.85/lb with a special this month wild flower 1/lb glass for 6.00. They did supply a large retail chain but not any more.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Don't let someone elses price influence your price decisions. You probably are selling from a Farmer Mtk or your own stand or by word of mouth, aren't you? If so, then your market is people who want your honey. I think you should be able to sell your honey at a higher price than your commercial neighbor. You don't need to sell it all in a hurry. You'll sell the higher priced honey at a slower rate, but you will glean more profit.

That being said your price should be equal to or higher.
    Good point.

I have a serious sideliner beek just a couple miles from me that sells much cheaper than I do but I still usually sell out by Dec. at $10/lb. There are several smaller beeks that sell at $5-$6/lb. but they run out quickly so that doesn't really affect me. It takes me a little longer to sell out but as long as it's gone by next years extraction I'm happy. Part of it is marketing, take time to talk to your customers. The guy up the road mainly does pints and quarts so I do smaller sizes like 1lb., 12oz., 8oz. These sell very well because many people don't want the larger containers. I also use muth jars especially around holidays and add a ribbon, hang tag with a holiday theme, and honey dipper. These sell at $13/lb.. after packaging I still make $10/lb net. and they sell great. Be enthusiastic about your product, if you convey a higher quality product then your customer will feel the same way and won't mind a higher price. There all kinds of little things you can do to get a higher price, I also talk to the other beeks in my area and try to get them to look at the work that they put in on their hives to get them to realize that their efforts should be compensated for and that they can get a better price. I never price according to retail shelf prices in the stores, my honey is better than theirs no matter where theirs comes from. The key to getting a higher price is to get your customer to perceive your product is of higher quality and deserves a higher price.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Like it.

I get $4.50/lb. wholesale for my whole crop, the big farm markets and health food stores that I supply sell it for $6.00/lb. I know they could sell it for a dollar or so more per pound no problem, but seems almost all honey produced in this area goes for about the same price retail. I started using 8 oz. jars also this year and was surprised at how well they move, 1 pound is the only other size I sell, may do 2 pounders eventually. John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast