Hybrid View

Default DIY Honey Extractor

After many hours at Lowe's and in my garage, I have a spinning Frankenstein in a barrel almost ready to throw some honey!

https://plus.google.com/photos/11826...80936421259665

Comments are welcome!

Default Re: DIY Honey Extractor

IT'S ALIVE!! Very cool. How did you get it to spin so freely and smoothly. Is it pivoting on the threaded rod? Great job.

Looks good!

Quote Originally Posted by CesarBeeCool View Post
    IT'S ALIVE!! Very cool. How did you get it to spin so freely and smoothly. Is it pivoting on the threaded rod? Great job.
    The shaft is 1/2" all thread. It moves with the bin that holds the frames. It has a bearing at it s base and near the top. I used the all thread so I could easily attach a bearing.

Cool..You'll have to let us know how it works in practice! How many cans of Coors Light did it take you to build it?
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox Mite Killing
    OA Vaporizer "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Beautiful! Did you design it yourself, or work from plans?

The only thing I'd worry about with the plastic bin is if there's enough weight at the bottom?

double post oops

Quote Originally Posted by Urbannewbee View Post
    Beautiful! Did you design it yourself, or work from plans?

The only thing I'd worry about with the plastic bin is if there's enough weight at the bottom?
    I didnt have any plans. I used these 2 as visual guides.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81663205@N04/
    http://www.littlehouseonthebighill.c...php?detail=125

I wouldn't worry about it moving around. I'm building a stand today. It will be quite stationary when I am done.

If you guys want to see a good set of plans Google 'Bush mechanic' for an excellent extractor. It uses a 55 gal plastic food grade barrel, a threaded rod set in 2 bearings set into wooden cross bars and 2 bicycle rims to hold the frames. I made one for a demo on a development project I worked on in Malawi 3 years ago and it works like a charm. I ran it with a 1/2 inch drill and used a Mann lake honey gate. Great, simple design. The only trick is to find a set of bicycle rims that fit inside the barrel. I spray painted everything with oil based spray paint and ran 10 medium supers through it for a trial.

Quote Originally Posted by wglord View Post
    If you guys want to see a good set of plans Google 'Bush mechanic' for an excellent extractor. It uses a 55 gal plastic food grade barrel, a threaded rod set in 2 bearings set into wooden cross bars and 2 bicycle rims to hold the frames. I made one for a demo on a development project I worked on in Malawi 3 years ago and it works like a charm. I ran it with a 1/2 inch drill and used a Mann lake honey gate. Great, simple design. The only trick is to find a set of bicycle rims that fit inside the barrel. I spray painted everything with oil based spray paint and ran 10 medium supers through it for a trial.
    Sounds like a good build. Mine is quite similar, rather than bike rims I made the cage to hold my frames out of wood and Aluminum. Its also made from a 55gal plastic barrel and will hold 10 deep frames.

Duh!!! And here I am making mine out of 304 stainless. Maybe I will get it finished before the snow flies.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by mroark View Post
    ...I made the cage to hold my frames out of wood...
    This is what concerns me. Are you going to sell honey? How you could clean-up internal parts including the wood? It looks like your lower bearing will touch the honey, is this true? Also, it looks like your "cage" may be weak for 10 full of honey frames. Sorry for critique.
    Серёжа, Sergey