Thread: honey comb

Exclamation honey comb

I am a new bee keeper, received my first order of bees in May of this year. I have a couple of questions.

I have 2 10 frame body hives and a super. The bees appear to be have filled almost all 10 frames in both hive bodies.
    My questions.

The bees do not appear to be making honey for winter in the super, maybe it is to early to expect honey in the super

Also I checked the frames and some of the frames have comb built on top of the plastic comb frames. Is this normal.

Default Re: honey comb

With my limited knowledge, the filling of your Honey super would happen in a major honey flow in your area and of course bepending on your hive condition, strong, weak etc.
    Not sure if it's over in your part of Illinois.
    As for comb on top of the frames, step latters to the next frame.

In my experience, the first year is usually spent drawing out comb and getting any honey stored for winter. they should start getting the honey stored any time now. Check the 2 deep's you have. They may have already started to store around the edges. If you have a queen excluder you might want to consider pulling it to make it easier for them to get to the honey super.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome, I wouldn't worry about winter store till around September, Then feed, feed and more feeding.

Welcome to the site!

do u have white clover blooming or is it still hidden by flood water? u havent had the best weather this year for bees. if there not storing honey around the brood and there having to draw comb you might consider feeding a little 1 to 1. Welcome and good luck.

With my limited knowledge I still think now is the time to be sure and have some more boxes and frames around so when you do need them. Also think of somehow eventually having two hives so if you loose a queen you don't loose the hive too. The small amount of comb is normal in any space not smaller than 1/4 inch. Spaces much smaller will be filled with propolis or what ever it is called. I think it is best to not open the hive too often but get a good idea from observing and listening. Sounds like things are going well for you.