Default Just sharing an idea

I was sitting around the other day and had just popped the last tic-tac in my mouth and I thought there must be a way to reuse the tic-tac container for something useful ( I like to find uses for stuff like this). I though for maybe 10 minutes and it hit me. I went out into the shop rinsed it out good, dried it and drilled 1/16 in holes three on each side to provide ventilation. I then pryed the whole top off and replaced it only pushing one end down firmly leaving the other end up somewhat so it could be pryed off with one hand. I then went out to the bee yard and did my usual inspections. In doing the inspections I located a queen, flipped open the flap opening of the Tic-Tac container and placed her inside closed the flap and did what I had to do in that hive and when finished I pryed the top off let her go back into the hive. Now I have a nice little queen holding container that I can use when I don't have anything with me that I can use. I have also used one to give a friend of mine a queen for a hive that went queenless.
    Just thought I'd share this idea incase it can help someone.

Default Re: Just sharing an idea

Some beeks just have way too much time on their hands!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I like the idea. This would be good for swarms and making a Nuc. I learned the hard way of taking brood from a hive and starting a nuc. I took the queen with the nurse bees. Lesson learned. BTW the hive requeened to I lucked out.

Quote Originally Posted by dadandsonsbees View Post
    I was sitting around the other day and had just popped the last tic-tac in my mouth and I thought there must be a way to reuse the tic-tac container for something useful ( I like to find uses for stuff like this). I though for maybe 10 minutes and it hit me. I went out into the shop rinsed it out good, dried it and drilled 1/16 in holes three on each side to provide ventilation. I then pryed the whole top off and replaced it only pushing one end down firmly leaving the other end up somewhat so it could be pryed off with one hand. I then went out to the bee yard and did my usual inspections. In doing the inspections I located a queen, flipped open the flap opening of the Tic-Tac container and placed her inside closed the flap and did what I had to do in that hive and when finished I pryed the top off let her go back into the hive. Now I have a nice little queen holding container that I can use when I don't have anything with me that I can use. I have also used one to give a friend of mine a queen for a hive that went queenless.
    Just thought I'd share this idea incase it can help someone.
    Not a bad idea, but I would think that manual handling of a queen when not necessary could be harmful to that queen. I prefer to leave a queen on comb in the hive.

How did your friend introduce the queen to his queenless hive? Was it successful?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Some beeks just have way too much time on their hands!
    I got to do something with the 20 minutes a day I have left over.

Don't tell the wife you have 20 free minutes a day left over, she will add to the honey do list.

Mark, I only handle queens when necessary such as this time. The guy that I gave the queen to introduced her the same way you would with a queen cage. He flipped the flap ( HA HA Flip the Flap) open and placed some queen candy he had made into the opening and placed the container in the queenless hive and 3 days later, well you know the rest of the story. I told him that he could have just placed her in the hive and manually introduced her after 3 days by flipping the flap open and letting her walk out. The holes you drill in the container give plenty of ventilation so she won't over heat. And the opening of the flap is plenty wide enough for the queen to walk out without any problems.

Yea I know Birdman, she has already found out now in my world there is 28 hours in a day.

A good job of recycling. Take some to your next bee meeting. Our club has a silent auction at the annual banquet. One year a guy brought in a smoker which fell off of his truck and got run over by a trailer wheel. We had fun bidding against each other. Kind of like playing Chicken seeing who would be willing to go over the last bid to top the last bidder.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."