Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: I need advice for transferring feral bees

Yay! Thanks! I'll try it as soon as I get home. Also another member offered to post a few for me as well. I'll try to get a shot of the entire wall as well as a close up of the bees (well as close as I can get! Lol)

Thanks so much for posting these for me!!

Here are some of the challanges that I see.

First their brood chamber in the concrete brick is not the same size as the one you are going to fit them into. It looks like a six inch square center. What is the diameter and volume of hive you are removing/relocating?

Second I see the frames you have in the new hive have the plastic covered with beeswas.

I would use as much of their comb as possible and keep it as intact as you can.

I would locate the queen if you can. Assume she is deep inside the hive because you don't want to destroy her by accident removing the comb.

Ofcource I have just started beekeeping this year, and this is what my initial approach would bee.

Remove or 3 of the plastic frames from your frameset. You will initially use their comb and their "frame". You can tie it with wire. ONe method is to drill holes in the wood frame and thread their comb inplace. It won't be perfect, but they will feel like they are at home. Plus the new bees that emerge will see their box as home.

You can cut it away using a butter knife and put into a bucket. You might try getting a small section initially to see how long it takes to put together. I would position it inside the new brood chamber with 2 regular plastic frames between. That will hopefully force them to build comb on the new plastic frames you supplied.

Looks like you got more comb than the 1 box will hold. Key is to find and secure the queen.

Good Luck!

I will try and get as much comb as I can, I'll go to the shop tomorrow and take a pic of the entire wall so you can see what I'm dealing with. I was going to remove a few of the plastic sheets, so great to know that I was thinking along the same lines. I like the idea of sandwiching it in between two "filled" frames. The box is a deep super....with ten 10" frames. Moving day is Monday which is the soonest I can get my friend over to help me. Plus dad is out of town and this is located behind his auto repair shop so I'd like him to be around too.

And don't worry, and comb I can't fit in the box I have certainly won't go to waste! Especially if there's honey in it, that's going on my toast! Hahaha! Pray I find the queen guys! Fingers crossed! Wish me luck!

Also, painting the box....white low VOC? Or no pain at at all??

kopelia... I would caution against just getting as much comb as you can get. You really only want to get good comb that has good brood on it. Make sure you have enough bees to completely cover and work the comb you save. If not, you will be inviting SHBs and Wax Moths. The bees will have to work hard to repair the combs, knit them to the frames, clean up the hive you give them, so, don't overwhelm them with comb.

Also, I don't think I would start them out by splitting the brood between plastic frames. I would wait and add the frames later, between frames of bees, but not splitting the brood nest of a colony that has just been through a traumatic experience. You can split the brood in an established hive, but, I don't like to do it in a new colony that has a lot of work to clean up.

cchoganjr

Thanks for this advice, what does comb with brood look like? I've seen pictures on google, but is there like a telltale sign? And I should probably take just that comb then and leave racks open or just a couple filled ones on the ends? How many racks should I try and fill? Questions, questions...lol

Comb that has capped and/or uncapped brood will come in several different colors. Most often, but not always, will have a semicircle ring from one inch to 4 inches of honey above the brood. Chocolate color indicates the brood is about ready to emerge. Brown or tan tells you it is a week to 15 days from emerging, and bright yellow is newly capped brood. Search the net to view what brood looks like and be prepared to know the difference between brood and capped honey which also comes in the colors already listed. Have your mentor point out the difference. It is almost impossible to just describe the difference so you would understand. You need to see it, from then on, you will recognize it. I would recommend against putting a lot of capped honey in the box. Concentrate on good capped brood comb.

cchoganjr

I think I can see larva in the photo. In the bottom left center where you see the exposed comb. It looks like there is larva in there and the bees haven't capped it yet as it is still in the early stages of growth. Better photos of the cells will tell. The larva looks like a small white grain of rice. After it grows it curls up in the bottom of the cell and has circular ridges in it.
    There is a photo of some larva like I am referring to on this page. The 1st photo.
    http://www.richardton-taylor.k12.nd....nsect.page.htm

Also since there is no queen excluder she could be laying eggs in the honey. Be sure to clean/strain it well.

So then that should probably be the square I concentrate on the most getting comb from, I will do my best to get the queen out...what happens if I don't find her? Will they "make" another in the new hive or just go back to the old spot?

Cool...I saw pics online so I think I have an idea of what they look like. Thank goodness my mentor has so much experience!

{I will do my best to get the queen out...what happens if I don't find her? Will they "make" another}

If you have some eggs or brood no more than 4 days old they will make a new queen, that is another reason why getting the brood is so important.

Of all the advice you are getting none is more important than what Cleo Hogan is giving you. He is definitely the Guru of feral bee trapping.

Awesome...I am so happy to have found this forum! Everything seems to be falling into place. Now to get those bees into their new home and making me some sweet, sweet, honey. I'd rather eat that than candy any day! Another forum instantly told me just to kill them and buy a $20 box of bees if I wanted to start beekeeping so bad...hah! They didn't even try to help me.

Get back in contact with the person that told you to buy some $20.00 packages, and find out who is selling them. I'll buy all of them I can get. Bee prices have changed in the last few years. Anymore, a $25.00 queen is a bargain. I paid $96.00 a piece for some 3 pound packages of bees this spring.

Right! I think the guy was just being a jerk. It was like they were thinking: "How dare a newbie come here to our kingdom and ask questions of the all knowing bee people?! Grrr...away with you girl!" I'll go back and ask if you want...I'm not afraid of the scary mean bee people. Lol

I'm sure he was just being a jerk. He doesn't really know of any $20.00 bees. If he did and he knows anything about bees he would be buying them himself.

For sure...the trapout begins Monday. Will keep you all posted and take pics of the process as we go. Thanks again for all the advice and for being so kind to me. I really appreciate it. And of course so do the bees...

Big day is tomorrow! Wish me luck everyone! I'll post pics as soon as I can!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast