Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: I need advice for transferring feral bees

Good luck

kopelia, any updates?

Well the gentleman I am working with tore the wall apart and did not listen to any advice I had gotten here. The bees are still in the wall but slowly moving up into the box after I put some comb on the frames after removing the plastic sheets. I had to do it while the guy was gone, but I had to go w my gut and what I was told here. I hope with this mans 40 plus yrs of beekeeping he knows what he's doing.

I will post pics as soon as I get home as I am at work and on my phone.

Here's a few pics of what's happening so far...
    Closeup:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The Wall:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Bees:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    They go all the way down to the bottom of the wall.

Forgot to get a pic of the comb I put into the frames, but I checked them this morning and there were tons more bees in the box now. Also took out five frames. So three have comb bits on them and two with the beeswax coated plastic. I had no idea the amount of bees in that wall! I also put the top back on the box properly. He started with the two small holes on the bottom and tried to smoke them out up into the box. We got one of the blocks off and I used the comb from that block. It was empty...I'm hoping they were about to fill it up. Another piece of comb had tons of pollen all in the cells so here's hoping they don't just rob it and take it back into the wall!

Nothing to report yet, the wall still looks the same, bees happliy flying in and out full of pollen...there has GOT to be a queen deep in that wall and probably all the wa at the bottom. As for the man who was supposed to help me, he made the mess ou see and then left for two weeks for vacation. It has been very rain down here in S. Fla lately so the bees have been very aggressive and also it's not the best weather to be smoking and cutting up a hive! I am now coming to the conclusion that the entire wall needs to come down as I have seen scouts in empty cells in the cinderblocks, so they are definitely thinking of expanding. Is there anyone in the Ft Lauderdale area that would help a girl out? I still really want to save these bees as I have already invested a bit of time and money into this. Or else if it comes down to it, anyone who wants to come and get these bees I'll just take a jar full of honey and a nice piece of comb in it. I'm getting kind of frustrated because evertime the weather is good the guy isn't around or if the guy is around the weather is bad. ARGH!

don't give up I would keep going with the box on top if it gets full of bees you could add a queen and have a hive started

Took a look inside today since it was the first clear day in about a week and no bees inside. The comb was brown and smelled kind of funny so I took it out. Funny thing is, a few hours after that some if the larger bees were flying in and out of the box. So we will see what happens. I'm headed over there now just to observe them as its sunset. I'd like to see the full scale of the hive as I've only been able to see it in the hottest part of the day or when it's overcast and the bees were very jumpy. They are pretty mild otherwise and let you get pretty close. I'll try and post a few pics for you of some close ups of the hive as soon as I can Patience pays, right?

Oh by smelled funny I mean like fermented. Or rotten fruit.

Ok, so here are a few closeup shots of the wall and what I can see inside....wasn't able to get out there last night, but am going straight after work today and hopefully there are bees in the box!

I haven't read the whole Thread, so excuse me if this has already been covered. Can you get ahold of a bee vac?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

No, the gentleman that is helping me is totally old school, like from the village old school....I suppose one could be made. It's just my fiance and I at this point now, until the man returns.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123