Thread: Ticked off bees

Hybrid View

Default Ticked off bees

Well I really ticked off my biggest hive. Yesterday I pulled a few frames for a nuke and put an escape board on. They got pretty POed. I used plenty of smoke, but they really went off, bees boiling up between the frames, bouncing off the veil ect. Got the job done with just a few stings making it through my jeans and closed thing up. Checked a few other hives and got the same thing. Every time I even touched a frame, bees boiling up between frames like mad. I figure the first hive marked me with alarm sent. But the problem is this, I still can't even go in my garden 20' to the side of the big hive with out getting buzzed and even stung this morning. We don't have skunks or any thing like that here and they were not so defensive before I worked them. They seem to have me "marked". I have to get the supers off today, which should be fun. Other then just let them be, is there any way to calm them down?

Bill S

Default Re: Ticked off bees

I am not sure but I also ticked my 1 hive off yesterday. It has been raining at least sometime everyday for the last week so I haven't bee able to mow. I know my bees don't like me mowing around their hives so I had my suit on, thank god. Lets just say I got tooo close to the one cider block and clipped it with my rear wheel. Yep 2 deeps and a med honey super right over. Luckly my wife was also suited up and we were able to get them back up pretty quick. I haven't gone out yet today to see if there still pissed. Good luck.

I got the same effect last week when pulling frames for nucs, but they calmed down when I put the hive back together.

Smoke yourself to mask the alarm pheromone you have been tagged with before starting, then apply just a few puffs to the hive. Wait 5 minutes then open the hive.

I did all that. I do that, work from the side, try to pick nice weather, try to work when there is nectar coming in ect, ect. These girls are POed! I took off the super this AM. Most of them were calm. But a few went right for the face before I even got to smoke them. I don't have to bother them for a couple of weeks now so hopefully they will calm down. This hive has always been a little feisty but the queen is the most mite resistant I have ever had so I have been making nukes from her. They are a VSH line from Velbert. Very productive. I hope I didn't make a mistake. Time will tell.

Thanks
    Bill S

Robbing or a dearth will also set them off real easy. Any of that going on?

If it's been raining on and off for days, likely you have a hive full of irritated foragers. Those bees are the grumpiest, and being stuck inside the hive by bad weather can make them really cranky.

I found that out the other year, don't plan on opening the hive when they've been stuck inside for days unless you have to, they are going to be really defensive. I'm not looking forward to Sunday -- we need to do the spring extracting and have been zapped by rain every weekend for a month. It may be rather exciting to pull honey!

Peter