Thread: Refractometers

Default Refractometers

I am thinking about buying a refractometer. Is the cheap (ebay $25.00 specials) ones good enough or do I need to get a more expensive one? Also, which ones do you recommend?

Default Re: Refractometers

My preference is to buy quality tools. You'll have them and use them for a long time and get satisfying use.

I purchased the Blue Sky BLU-2ATC last fall and it seems to be a quality refractometer and got good reviews on Beesource. It does automatic correction for temperature which is nice to have and is accurrate to 0.1%. 0.1% is more than needed but a quality product.

Was $70 last year. Was shocked at the shipping cost to Canada of an additional $31.

Had some uncapped frames last fall, so needed to test moisture. It is also very helpful to allow one to test and pull less than 80% capped frames in honey season.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Quote Originally Posted by mgolden View Post
    My preference is to buy quality tools. You'll have them and use them for a long time and get satisfying use.
    I agree with MGolden on this one, always buy the best quality you can afford. You won't bee sorry. However, I bought the same one on ebay for $25.00 about 6 years ago and I was impressed at the actual quality. It has served me well, only needing to be re-calibrated 1 time. I checked it against my friends expensive digital model, we got the same readings. So really it's up to you & I would consider how much actual use it will get.

Hope this helps.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

J only have 25 hives, so it won't get much use, but I do want one that is reliable and accurate.

If its not accurate its worthless. I've read buy one that's made for honey, not brix. & you need a resolution of less than .5%. If you get one that you can only read with an accuracy of 1% you won't know if the honey is wet or not.
    Some people on the forum have had good luck using the brix meters.
    Dan

An older thread on this subject, but still useful:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-refractometer
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

i bought one of those cheap ebay ones but for my saltwater tank and it has worked for almost 8 years with only 2 calibrations, once when i got it and about a year ago i did it again but it was very close still.

Angry Re: Refractometers

Quote Originally Posted by Bill91143 View Post
    ... but I do want one that is reliable ... .
    If you want a reliable information from a refractometer you need a reliable test plate for the reliable calibration:

http://www.bellinghamandstanley.com/...mat_solid.html

http://www.refractometershop.com/sho...on=full&id=133

Some people have had good luck with a much cheeper calibration block (18.6%).
    I am not sure about this value.

Johann