Default How to economically expand hive count

I plan on splitting my hives to make nucs. For the people on here
    With 10 to 12 hives do you build yours, or do you just buy the kits and spend a little more upfront? I would just like to know what everyone does and recommends.

Default Re: How to economically expand hive count

Except for my initial nuc equipment purchase, all of my 5-frame equipment is homebuilt. My next project is to build multipurpose boards that can be used as inner covers or bottom boards for nucs.

The biggest savings is in building the bottom boards, and inner and outer covers. IMO
    I buy 8-frame finger jointed boxes...

In an attempt to increase #'s economically I'm trying my luck with some virgin queens this year.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Here's my experience. If you can get cheap wood and the equipment to build your own boxes it's worth it. I just use rabbet joints on the few that I made, they work fine. Buying a complete nuc costs about $30. I was able to get suitable boards for about $7.50 to get a box and a top done making the total about $10 I would say after making a bottom. That being said, if you mess up, basically it's a box a board putting the box at about $7.50 which for me makes it better go buy an unassembled box from Mann Lake but like BeeCurious says, making your own bottom boards and covers will save a ton of $$. Looking at 10 frame boxes though, which cost about $18 on average, it's much more economical to make your own and you can get a box out of a 3/4" x 12" x 60" board @ $7.50.

Nucs are simple enough to build with hand tools, here is 2 nucs I built recently from free shipping crate lumber.

Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I agree with the above. Except I buy "Budget" boxes from MannLake for $8.95 each (Unassembled). Yes, I can buy the boards for $7.50 , but my time is well spent on something else.
    I make all of my other stuff except frames, which I buy for 77 cents each and use foundationless.
    Charlie

13 hives - zone 5

$8.95 isn't too bad of a price, I will have to look into that. Hand built nucs are pretty simple to build but still somewhat time consuming.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Thanks for all the help guys you have given me some great ideas!