Default New Queen: Is she fertilized yet?

This is a hive from a cutout done on June 3rd. Didn't get the queen. But there was a swarm cell on one of the combs I transferred into frames. This hatched on somewhere abouts on June 12th as this is when I found all the new emergency queen cells opened and larva dead. I assume the swarm cell was made around 5/28.

I had not been able to find the queen until today! There is still no eggs or larvae, but here is a pic of here. I'm just curious where she's at in her developmental process. Does she look like she's fertilized, yet?

Last edited by JMoore; 06-28-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Default Re: New Queen: Is she fertilized yet?

don't know if she is bred or not but she sure is pretty

Thanks! She's my first reared queen.
    Last edited by JMoore; 06-27-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Ha, I can actually add to this conversation. Its rare with me only being in my 2nd year keeping bees. Read this article and then try and remember how the bees were acting towards her.

This article was referred to me from my post a few days ago: which is here and I would encourage you to read the replies >>

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1008183309.htm
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

Interesting read. The bees were a little ambivalent about her presence. Maybe she is not done with her mating flights?

Thumbs Up Re: New Queen: Is she fertilized yet?

In addition to the presence or lack of retinue JM, a virgin queen moves quickly across the frame. She will occasionally walk on top of bees, never stopping to examine or look at an open cell. I've seen virgin queens walk across the long side of a frame in 15-20 seconds and disappear around the corner and keep going. After mating, she will swell, move slower, show interest in empty cells and stay on the comb. HTH

If she was my queen, I'd give her a bit more time but have a backup plan. If guessing whether she is mated or not, I'd guess yes, she isn't quite svelte enough to look like a virgin to me -not scientific, just a guess, I see through a glass dimly.

Put a frame containing fresh eggs in the hive and wait four or five days to check for queen cells. The bees will tell you. One more thing, a virgin queen will fly at the drop of a hat.
    Last edited by Lburou; 06-27-2013 at 11:08 PM.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

The cutout was my intro to beekeeping--my only hive. This queen is my backup. So you can understand why I'm a little nervous about her.

For what it's worth, I would guess that she's mated.

Yup looks pretty mated to me. Expect eggs soon, real soon.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I noticed bees bringing in pollen, then checked and found eggs in my homemade queen. Is that a reliable indicator?

your queen looks robust, the time frames is correct for her to begin laying, it can take as much as 17 days after hatching, or as little as 7 but I think she look good. expect eggs any time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    In addition to the presence or lack of retinue JM, a virgin queen moves quickly across the frame. She will occasionally walk on top of bees, never stopping to examine or look at an open cell. I've seen virgin queens walk across the long side of a frame in 15-20 seconds and disappear around the corner and keep going. After mating, she will swell, move slower, show interest in empty cells and stay on the comb. HTH

If she was my queen, I'd give her a bit more time but have a backup plan. If guessing whether she is mated or not, I'd guess yes, she isn't quite svelte enough to look like a virgin to me -not scientific, just a guess, I see through a glass dimly.

Put a frame containing fresh eggs in the hive and wait four or five days to check for queen cells. The bees will tell you. One more thing, a virgin queen will fly at the drop of a hat.
    LEE: everything you said is sound. Except the adding eggs and letting the bees tell you. A hive that has been without brood, and has a new queen that is just beginning to lay, will often build supercedure cells as they see the slow production of a new queen as poor production, and wish to replace her. The will often tear them down when her production increases to their satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    -snip- They will often tear them down when her production increases to their satisfaction.
    And that would be fine.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

She looks mated to me. Give her a week and I bet you find new eggs. Once she starts laying for a couple weeks the bees will defiantly be showing her some respect.

I agree with what Oldtimer said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Yup looks pretty mated to me. Expect eggs soon, real soon.
    When I'm checking for mated/laying queens, when I see a former virgin that looks like the one in your photo, even if I don't see eggs, yet, I will mark her as mated/laying. Then I will expect to see eggs/brood if I check again in about a week. If the queen is still there, a week later, and I don't see eggs/brood -- I might consider replacing her with a new cell or virgin. Plump queens like yours, don't fly very well, and I wouldn't think they could accomplish another mating flight in that condition.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Checked the hive today. I have one whole frame of fat larvae. Looks like she's up and running!

JM, when you say fat larva, are they capped? Do you know how to tell what are drone cells.

Good Luck

Don't rain on my parade!
    I'm 70% sure that I know the difference in the size of the drone cell compared to the "normal" cell size and and I recognize their cap shape. These were little white C's in the bottom of a normal cell. And it was the frame on which I saw the queen. So, I hope they are little baby girls.
    Last edited by JMoore; 07-02-2013 at 07:48 PM.

One of the great pleasures of beekeeping. Wondering if the new queen is laying yet, worrying a little, then checking, and - she is!
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

This reminds me of when my first child was on it's way, anticipation!!! I do believe you have a Great Queen and it appears to been laying since you say you saw little white c's.