Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bees Unable to Get Airborne

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Jackam 
#1 ·
Lately, there is 5-10 bees every day that end up in the grass up to 20 feet from hive. They crawl to the top of a grass spear but are unable to fly.

Wings seem normal, but is this signs of a emerging mite problem?

#7 ·
Something ive heard is that the system pesticides happens a little differently north of the border. Instead of "ccd", alot of the time you will find confused bees who cannot fly, and die close the the hive. I've talked to many keepers in Ontario who report similar results, so it could be an indication of Neonic poisoning.

#11 ·
Well... Is there?
After my 1 pm to 3 pm mass of bees orientation flights, I regularly pick a dozen or so up off the ground and get them back to the hive. Some of them SORTA fly but it just hasn't come to them yet.

#13 ·
Jackam, not sure what you got going on, but its wrong..... Bees are not baby birds...... they can fly perfectly an hour or two after hatching should the need arise... If you have bees crawling, and they are not old tattered wings, you have an issue......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.