Default What to do AFTER the swarm

OK, one of my hives swarmed. Silly me but I've learned a lesson. They were hiding the queen cells in the very bottom box - absolutely no queen cells in any of the boxes above the first - and in an attempt to leave them alone as much as possible, I failed to find the queen cells and take action in time.

I've went through the 2nd hive and made sure I opened up the brood's nest. I'm going to take a look at it again tomorrow (a week later) and make sure it's not interested in swarming and that they aren't back-filling the brood's nest.

The week hive, the one that produced a swarm, left maybe 50% of the bees - and they have a few queen cells ..using bee math, I should see eggs about July 17th. It is not as strong as the second hive - but there was LOTS of brood ...everything from 4days very small larvae to close to 20days capped (as of a week ago).

Should I swap the two hives or should I leave them bee and let them grow out themselves? Any other options?

Thank you all!

Default Re: What to do AFTER the swarm

I would get rid of all but one Q.cell, otherwise each new queen will most likely take off with part of your bees.
    Sounds like the hive is still pretty strong, I would leave it where it is - but that's a choice that could go either way

There is no guarantee that your bees are planning to swarm again. Not all hives that swarm emit afterswarms.

I would go into the hive and take out all but two queen cells. Leave two for insurance. There's always the possibility, if you're planning to leave only one, that you will tear out all the viable ones and leave a dud.
    Try it. What could happen?

Well I went back in there today, 5 days after the last inspection and 8 days after they swarmed.

All the queen cells were gone. There was only one large one and a few smaller ones at the time - but I couldn't find any remnants of any queen cells at all.

Does this mean they have their queen? The date I'm expecting to see eggs/larvae is about July 17th.

The hive is behaving just like the other hive ...quite industrious but just with fewer bees. They still keep packing honey in the lower brood boxes back-filling cells that have hatched and not doing much in the top box.