Default What to do ? queen cells ? no queen

what should I do ? found queen cells but no queen or eggs or larva . should I buy a queen or let the bee's take care of it ? should I remove some queen cells or let them all go ? here are some pictures of what I found
    thanks for the help bee1.jpgbee2.jpgbee3.jpg

Default Re: What to do ? queen cells ? no queen

Let them figure it out. They know exaclty what they are supposed to do.
    If you have the resources, I'd make a nuc or two to have a queen on standby at all times.
    Last edited by Mr.Beeman; 07-04-2013 at 05:29 PM.

How do you start a nuc ?

Mr. Beeman is exactly right. Let them make their own queen. If you have the resources start a couple of nucs and raise a couple of spare queens. A nuc is a smaller box that only holds 2 to 5 frames. Pull a couple frames of brood and honey complete with bees, from one of your hives, and install them in the nuc. Carefully cut out a couple of the extra queen cells, and add them to the nuc, then let the bees in the nuc hatch a queen from the cells you installed. This is a short version of starting a nuc to raise a queen, but it sounds like you haven't had much experience at nucs and splitting bees. So I would advise you to find someone local with the knowledge to help you with your first queen rearing nuc. Short of that, with no knowledge or help on making a nuc, I would probably leave the hive alone and let nature take its course.

I think I will wait and see what happens . How long should I wait before I check for a queen?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill91143 View Post
    Mr. Beeman is exactly right. Let them make their own queen. If you have the resources start a couple of nucs and raise a couple of spare queens. A nuc is a smaller box that only holds 2 to 5 frames. Pull a couple frames of brood and honey complete with bees, from one of your hives, and install them in the nuc. Carefully cut out a couple of the extra queen cells, and add them to the nuc, then let the bees in the nuc hatch a queen from the cells you installed. This is a short version of starting a nuc to raise a queen, but it sounds like you haven't had much experience at nucs and splitting bees. So I would advise you to find someone local with the knowledge to help you with your first queen rearing nuc. Short of that, with no knowledge or help on making a nuc, I would probably leave the hive alone and let nature take its course.

Being a new package in may wouldn't it be a bad idea to pull a couple frames out and make a split (nuc) now? Or would this just be to hatch a queen?

Nuc's are invaluable in my apiary. It can give you an immediate laying queen for a queenless hive or build up a weaker hive by donating frames of brood as the nuc explodes with population. When late fall comes, add the nuc to your weakest hive or overwinter it if it has a queen at that point.
    Honestly I didn't think much about nuc's at first. Now... I can't see me not having at least two.

On a similar topic...what would happen if you had a Nuc that had a laying worker,and tried to introduce a Queen?
    Or split that Nuc and hope for the best and one Nuc accepts that Queen and the other would perish?

Honestly, I have yet to come across that scenario. It is only a few days and a queen cell is drawn. I don't believe there is enough time for a worker to become a laying worker. I believe it takes a certain length of time for a laying worker hive to establish itself. I keep a pretty close eye on the nuc hives. Although once queenless, there is certainley enough eggs to start a new queen quickly.
    I've split nucs before with no laying worker issues.
    I have one hive that has been queenless for 35 days or so that has yet to go laying worker on me. The queens should emerge any day now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Beeman View Post
    Nuc's are invaluable in my apiary. It can give you an immediate laying queen for a queenless hive or build up a weaker hive by donating frames of brood as the nuc explodes with population. When late fall comes, add the nuc to your weakest hive or overwinter it if it has a queen at that point.
    Honestly I didn't think much about nuc's at first. Now... I can't see me not having at least two.
    So if I started a nuc when it builds itself up what do I do with it? Add it to another hive or start a new one? Or split it in to another nuc? Sorry for all the questions just want to be prepared if I go that way.