Default Is it safe to extract my honey?

I live near Knoxville Tennessee and I have a hive that has 2 deep hive bodies for the brood and winter stores. It also has a medium honey super full of capped honey and second medium honey super with almost all the frames drawn and the bees are filling it with honey. I just added a 3rd honey super last Sunday. Is it ok to go ahead and extract the super that has the capped honey? Will my bees need more than what is in the 2 deep hive bodies? Opinions?
    Thanks Jeff

Default Re: Is it safe to extract my honey?

Probably but if you want to be safe you should leave it. I don't know when your dearth is or how late your season goes where the bee's can collect nectar. Someone local to you would have a better handle on that. If you do take the capped honey, you can always feed later in the year to "top off" your hive. I would probably do that....take the capped honey now, monitor the stores as the year get's along and feed accordingly.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Someone from Tennessee could probably tell you more precisely. but here we still have a lot of time to fill supers. then we have the goldenrod flow coming up it September. A lot of keepers us that for winter stores. Don't know if you have a goldenrod flow in your area. but for me it has always been reliable in pa. Like Ravinseye said. there is always sugar syrup!

Much depends upon why you are beekeeping. If you are after honey, go ahead and harvest it, but be prepared to feed sugar syrup this fall in order to get the hive ready for winter. If honey doesn't particularly interest you, leave it. I would harvest any honey put into the second deep. Talk with people local to you to find out what the typical overwintering configuration is and how much (in terms of stores) the bees generally need to make it through winter and early spring buildup.

Take it... They will work better if you put that empty super back on. Too late for much wax drawing here. We started extracting 3 weeks ago,

Harvest it.

First things first. If the upper deep is mostly honey, thats more than enough for them to winter on. Check that the brood is in the lower deep. Sometimes a colony at flow end is hung up in the upper deep, and the lower deep is basically empty comb. When that happens, it leaves them short on stores in the double deep.
    Assuming they got it right, any thing above the double deep is yours to take when you choose.

The fall flow has been weak in this area for the last few years, and you can't depend on it to make up any shortage in overhead honey. There are those who would say just feed if necessary, but I prefer to have them winter on their honey.

Walt