Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default dried black Larvae?

Hi, I have only been at this for a few months now. I have been seeing small, black, crescent moon shaped, dried "larvae" I used " because I don't know what it is. I have been seeing them in the grid chart that have fallen through my screened bottom board. Also, in cells.

thoughts?

I have been searching around online and just have not seen pictures of what it is I am seeing.

Thanks!!!

Default Re: dried black Larvae?

Can u post a pic?

do you have any pictures?

First thought AFB, because of the Thread title. But, after you writing that they were found on the bottom board, it sounds like Chalk brood. Do you find them to be mostly grey w/ a black tipped end? Hard pellets?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

How long are the larvae? What is the overall condition of the colony, frames of brood, bees, food stores, etc.? What are the weather conditions in your area? Do you have small hive beetle?

I have had this happen after I inadvertently moved a brood frame to the outermost side of the super, with a young nuc. There simply was not enough bees to break cluster and tend to an outside frame. Did you move frames recently at all? The brood basically just dried out and mummified, and then the bees cleaned it out. I was finding some on my bottom board and landing board, etc.

Mouse turds??

Possibly.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

It looks like droppings from wax moths. It's nothing to worry about.

Nope, don
    t think so. Just looks like trash. Nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Nope, don
    t think so. Just looks like trash. Nothing special.
    Agreed, possibly the remnants of some insect. Too large to have come from a cell.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

It has gotten really hot here recently(100 and some). Moist river fog in evening and early morn. I have 2 hives just a few feet apart. This hive seems a little weaker. And, the other hive does not have these black things. It is hard to inspect because in the brood box the bees have turned the middle 6 frames into one. I attempted to separate them and that did not go well at all. That is when I first started noticing them. The frames I am able to inspect seem to have a lot of capped honey and few larvae. I did see some. And, there were some of these black things in a few cells.
    Thanks everyone!!

Is this old used equipment? Are the middle 6 frames from a nuc you bought? Can you remove the outer frames? If so, I would do that and then break a frame at a time from those that appear to be one now. Or have they cross combed those frames together?

It is all new equipment. It is an 8 frame hive. They have cross combed it pretty good. I bought packages of bees.

002.jpg
    I found this too in my box. What type of larvae is it?

I can't see well enough to be sure. Probably wax moth larva, or SHB larva if there are 3 pair of legs behind the head.

Hopefully not exhausting you all.....I finally got deeper into my hive. Didn't see a queen.....but....could be hiding. This is what it looked like. Not good. Can you all help me out with what you think it is....005.jpg003.jpg
    Also, this is the second to last outer frame. The outer frame is barley built up. It seems like there is not hardly any brood....Should I be worried that the queen is not there?

Hard to say, that's some kind of beetle larvae though. If I had to guess I'd suspect EFB since it looks like the larvae are dying young.

Quote Originally Posted by o-townbee View Post
    002.jpg
    I found this too in my box. What type of larvae is it?
    Looks like a meal worm to me. What we used to feed our pet lizards when I was young. Not a pest of honeybees or equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast