Thread: Mimosa trees

Default Mimosa trees

Mimosa trees are really blooming in SW MO. Does anyone know if bees work these. I don't have any close that I can check out.

Default Re: Mimosa trees

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfer View Post
    Mimosa trees are really blooming in SW MO. Does anyone know if bees work these. I don't have any close that I can check out.
    I have seen bees working Mimosa trees in our area.

I have a couple of these trees near about a dozen of my hives just south of St.Louis, and I do see bees working them - but not voraciously.
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com

Mimosa is a common name for many different trees. Same as "Mock Orange", "Creeping Charlie". Ask ten people about Mimosa trees and they will be talking about ten different types of trees. What is the botanical name of the tree you are asking about?

I think the ones here in Saint Louis are also called silk trees. Albizia julibrissin. Allegedly a good nectar source but I haven't seen one up close to know. My bees are working something like a flow is on though, and there are several that I know of within forage distance.