Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: 37 million bees dead

http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/...in_wilson.html

"Hillsboro officials aren’t sure what’s killing the bees, but Preston confirmed that the trees in downtown Hillsboro were treated with the same pesticide, Safari spray, as 55 trees that were sprayed in Wilsonville. Agricultural officials determined that the insecticide — which is meant to kill aphids — caused the Wilsonville bees’ deaths.

Preston said that one interesting difference between the die-offs is that the Wilsonville trees were sprayed recently, while Hillsboro sprayed its trees in March."

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDiamond View Post
    Reference? Not even the Xerces Society - an Oregon based anti-pesticide group - has mentioned anything about "hives were still being killed/harmed by the neonics MONTHS after they were [properly applied [per label directions]. http://www.xerces.org/

BigDawg, your link says: "He saw about 100 dead or dying bees below one tree [Hillsboro, Oregon], and more living bees up in the tree." No mention of honey bees. No mention of hives. Yet in your earlier post you wrote: "researchers discovered that nearby [Hillsboro, Oregon] hives were still being killed/harmed by the neonics MONTHS after they were applied." So your link does not substantiate you claim of "honeybees being killed/harmed [in [Hillsboro, Oregon] by the neonics MONTHS after they were applied". On the bee-list both Randy Oliver and Peter Borst have pointed out the nectar of some species of Linden trees is known to be toxic some years http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...=1&O=D&P=16386 So the task facing the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture is to determine whether the neonic or the possibly toxic nectar from some of the Linden trees killed some of the bumblebees in Hillsboro, Oregon.

I never said honeybees were involved, and I used "hives" instead of "colonies."

Regardless, the fact remains that the trees in Hillsboro were sprayed with neonics in March, and bee deaths are still occurring in June, months later. Sure, sometimes Linden trees can produce toxins, but, the bee kill in Wisonville happened just days after being (illegally) sprayed with neonics and are, by most sources, the largest recorded bumblebee die-off in Oregon's history. It will indeed be interesting to see the final analysis, but given the timing of the spraying and the large number of bees killed, it seems highly likely that the cause was the neonicotinoid spray used to treat aphids.

BigDawg, your link says: "He saw about 100 dead or dying bees below one tree [Hillsboro, Oregon], and more living bees up in the tree." No mention of honey bees. No mention of hives. Yet in your earlier post you wrote: "researchers discovered that nearby [Hillsboro, Oregon] hives were still being killed/harmed by the neonics MONTHS after they were applied." So your link does not substantiate you claim of "honeybees being killed/harmed [in [Hillsboro, Oregon] by the neonics MONTHS after they were applied". On the bee-list both Randy Oliver and Peter Borst have pointed out the nectar of some species of Linden trees is known to be toxic some years http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...=1&O=D&P=16386 So the task facing the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture is to determine whether the neonic or the possibly toxic nectar from some of the Linden trees killed some of the bumblebees in Hillsboro, Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by kincade View Post
    Just because Xerces advocates for responsible use of pesticide does not make them an 'anti-pesticide group'. They are a pro-pollinator group, and one that I'm honestly surprised more of us don't support. Characterizing them as anything else is blatantly false.
    Xerces has not provided credible evidence that neonics kill pollinators when applied to ornamental plants according to label directions and yet the organization is calling for all these radical bans on neonic (and other) pesticide applications:
    Uploaded with ImageShack.com

The exact quote is "hundreds of dead or dying bees" in the Hillsboro case. Also, the Oregonian is reporting that state officials have confirmed that the neonic Safari was responsible for the deaths of the 50,000+ bumblebees in Wilsonville.

"In Wilsonville, state officials confirmed the pesticide Safari was the culprit in the deaths of thousands of bees."

Also, in regards to the possibility that the bees were poisoned by the Linden trees themselves:

"Linden trees can also be toxic to bees under some circumstances, according to both Preston and Black. But Black said that toxicity is very unusual, and typically occurs in drought conditions when the tree's nectar is concentrated."

http://www.oregonlive.com/hillsboro/...eath_of_h.html

According this drought map, Hillsboro has received normal rainfall amounts this year and is not currently experiencing any drought conditions at all:

http://www.plantmaps.com/interactive...onitor-map.php

Just look around. 600 colonies here 50 there 100 some where else and so fourth. It all ads up to disaster. Bee keeping is a disaster around the world and will only get worse unless something is done very shortly. Frankly I do not see this happening.

BigDawg, you misinformed in multiple ways:

YOU SAID: "Interestingly enough, some nearby trees were treated with the same neonics a few months ago"

THE FACTS: The "nearby trees" were in Hillsboro, Oregon, nearly 20 MILES northwest of Wilsonville.

YOU SAID: "Interestingly enough, some nearby trees were treated with the same neonics a few months ago" (before they were in bloom as per the directions) and yet following the bee kill in Wilsonville, researchers discovered that nearby hives were still being killed/harmed by the neonics MONTHS after they were applied."

THE FACTS: No "hives" were killed or harmed in Hillsboro, Oregon because the bees killed were bumblebees!

YOU SAID: "nearby hives were still being killed/harmed by the neonics MONTHS after they were applied."

THE FACTS: The Oregon Dept of Agriculture has not determined why there were about 100 dead bumblebees beneath this single Linden tree in Hillsboro, Oregon: https://imageshack.com/a/img195/5088/46lq.jpg (photo lifted from Google Street View, photo should say 100, not "hundreds" of bumblebees were found beneath the tree)

That tree was one of 200 sprayed in March with the Safari neonic insecticide. Hillsboro public affairs manager Patrick Preston told the Los Angeles Times: "The Oregon Department of Agriculture visited the site to take samples and test whether pesticides also played a role. The city has sprayed the trees with Safari for the past three years. This is the first time bee deaths have been reported, Preston said. If Safari is found to have been behind the bee deaths then we will not be using it anymore,” Preston said. http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/n...,3014501.story

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    3. I never said that the ODA had determined the reason for the BBee deaths in Hillsboro.
    BigDawg you wrote: "researchers discovered that nearby hives [in Hillsboro, Oregon] were still being killed/harmed by the neonics MONTHS after they were applied [correctly according to label directions]."

But that's not true...it's not true that "researchers discovered that nearby hives [in Hillsboro, Oregon] were still being killed/harmed by the neonics MONTHS after they were applied [correctly according to label directions]."

The truth is there is an ongoing investigation by ODA (Oregon Dept. of Ag) to try and determine the cause of the BBee deaths in Hillsboro.

the label mentioned that you're not supposed to apply the pesticide on a trees while in bloom as they will kill bees so how was this applied correctly according to the label?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    Maybe you could tell us though, why, in your 173 post history here on Beesource, the ONLY subject you post about is pesticides...
    the same comment could be said about you, BD

Quote Originally Posted by BayHighlandBees View Post
    the label mentioned that you're not supposed to apply the pesticide on a trees while in bloom as they will kill bees so how was this applied correctly according to the label?
    There were two separate bumblebee kills in Oregon. One in Wilsonville where an applicator (accidentally, presumably) sprayed 55 shopping center parking lot Linden trees in mid June while they were in bloom resulting in the deaths of 50,000 bumblebees that nectared on the trees. The other kill was 20 miles away in Hillsboro, Oregon where 100 bumblebees were found beneath one of 200 Linden trees that were correctly and legally sprayed back in March long before they were in bloom. The cause of the Hillsboro deaths has not been determined yet by the Oregon Dept. of Agriculture. So it's premature for anyone to claim the Hillsboro case is an example of how neonics can kill alot of pollinators even when they are correctly and legally sprayed on ornamental trees before bloom.

As I see it, it is all a moot point. Honey bees are non indigenous to north America. They are foreign invaders and if they all disappeared what would it matter. they do not belong here in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee joe View Post
    Just look around. 600 colonies here 50 there 100 some where else and so fourth. It all ads up to disaster. Bee keeping is a disaster around the world and will only get worse unless something is done very shortly. Frankly I do not see this happening.
    What do you think should be done? Anything practical?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by I'llbeedan View Post
    As I see it, it is all a moot point. Honey bees are non indigenous to north America. They are foreign invaders and if they all disappeared what would it matter. they do not belong here in the first place.
    It would matter a lot. Have you noticed how honeybee dependent much of our agriculture is? You could say the same thing about most of the human population in the Americas. Humans are the most invasive species on Earth.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Big dawg, in beekeeping 20 miles is a another country....... Your attack on Blue was so far off I wonder if you even have bees???

Every year roughly 1 million hives die (30% of the countrys totals) so 600 here, 50 there is hardly a disaster... Bad yupp... end of the world hardly...... Imagine what would happen for a moment if pesticides were banned... No peaches, dang few apples, pumpkins and cucumbers would all but disapear from the stores....
    Can't even fathon what would happen to corn and bean production..... the key is proper and respossnible applications

Now if you excuse me, the rain has stopped, so i am going to go out and liquid spray my peaches and grapes with sevin dust.... the ones 30 feet from my queen hives....(for the record no Safari spray)

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    It would matter a lot. Have you noticed how honeybee dependent much of our agriculture is? You could say the same thing about most of the human population in the Americas. Humans are the most invasive species on Earth.
    I could not agree more! So when you all planning on moving? LMAO

Ha,ha,ha. Me too. Haven't stopped moving yet. And if you are a Native American that just means your peoples got here earlier. Right?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Yes I am! but, according to Darwin we all slithered from the sea. and I can't hold my breath that long any more!

And also from what I have heard we are all out of Africa. Certainly we can't all "go home".
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast