Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greene, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    405

    Default 37 million bees dead

    Saw this on Facebook.

    37 Million bees die.jpg

    ELMWOOD - Local beekeepers are finding millions of their bees dead just after corn was planted here in the last few weeks. Dave Schuit, who has a honey operation in Elmwood, lost 600 hives, a total of 37 million bees.
    “Once the corn started to get planted our bees died by the millions,” Schuit said. He and many others, including the European Union, are pointing the finger at a class of insecticides known as neonicotinoids, manufactured by Bayer CropScience Inc. used in planting corn and some other crops. The European Union just recently voted to ban these insecticides for two years, beginning December 1, 2013, to be able to study how it relates to the large bee kill they are experiencing there also.
    Local grower Nathan Carey from the Neustadt, and National Farmers Union Local 344 member, says he noticed this spring the lack of bees and bumblebees on his farm. He believes that there is a strong connection between the insecticide use and the death of pollinators.
    At the farm of Gary Kenny, south west of Hanover, eight of the 10 hives he kept for a beekeeper out of Kincardine, died this spring just after corn was planted in neighbouring fields.
    What seems to be deadly to bees is that the neonicotinoid pesticides are coating corn seed and with the use of new air seeders, are blowing the pesticide dust into the air when planted. The death of millions of pollinators was looked at by American Purdue University. They found that, “Bees exhibited neurotoxic symptoms, analysis of dead bees revealed traces of thiamethoxam/clothianidin in each case. Seed treatments of field crops (primarily corn) are the only major source of these compounds.
    Source: http://www.thepost.on.ca/2013/06/19/...the-millions-N
    No one famous.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flora,IL
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    Posted here yesterday, And totaly not true... read the article, bees tested and nothing found... then they go on to discredit testing. saying "testing only shows none issues" Testing for neonics is known.......

    And 37 million dead bees from Planter dust wold be a record and ALL OVER the news.. not is a poorly written article like this one....... the article is really about planting flowers on the roadside...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knox, Pa. USA
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    Neonics have been tested extensively. The results have shown that they do not transcend the growth cycle to the pollen, Although dust directly from the seed coating can be harmful to honey bees. Standard planting techniques usually keep it to a minimum resulting in little exposure to honey bees. Following recommendations of the department of agriculture and planting early A.M. when dew id on ground, and other times of high moisture further reduces danger to bees. The reality of it is neonics are far less harmful to bees that conventional insecticides and their application.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lutz, FL, USA
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    In fact, neonicotinoids are so harmless and so beneficial that you can spray your whole hive with them - prophylactically, they can be used as food supplement (to build your character), to solve global warming (as well as global cooling), bring peace to the middle east and remove our dependency on the fossil fuels.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Otero County, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,310

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    I want to train my bees to harvest neonics instead of nectar. More return on investment.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Knox, Pa. USA
    Posts
    871

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtSmart View Post
    In fact, neonicotinoids are so harmless and so beneficial that you can spray your whole hive with them - prophylactically, they can be used as food supplement (to build your character), to solve global warming (as well as global cooling), bring peace to the middle east and remove our dependency on the fossil fuels.
    cute, good thing this is not a serious subject!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flora,IL
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    Quote Originally Posted by ArtSmart View Post
    In fact, neonicotinoids are so harmless and so beneficial that you can spray your whole hive with them - prophylactically, they can be used as food supplement (to build your character), to solve global warming (as well as global cooling), bring peace to the middle east and remove our dependency on the fossil fuels.
    Your tag line is very fitting Common sense is definitely not common.....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Shawnee, OK
    Posts
    12

    Thumbs down Re: 37 million bees dead

    I am a long time beekeeper, much longer than even this forum, and I learned never to put my bees near GM corn fields, ever. If you have lost dozens of colonies as a result of keeping your bees near a large cornfield, you will learn not to.

    Of course, lobbyists would argue otherwise: that's their job. Sure, there is no global warming, either. Sure, bees are not dying. Sure, this nicotine-based chemical is harmless like milk. People will say and do anything for a buck.

    Not one tobacco executive has ever admitted how nicotine is addictive! That was under oath!

    Tell you what. Situate your own bees near GM cornfields as many as for three years; put a few dozen colonies, do your experiment, and follow the result. You may not lose yours perhaps, but I have mine under best practice.

    You say nicotine is not addictive; sure, I believe you.

    I live the fact.
    Last edited by Earthboy; 07-02-2013 at 01:09 PM. Reason: spelling

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flora,IL
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    My hives are all withing 100 yards of planted corn.... including my queen hives....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    jersey, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    My hives are also near planted corn, just after the planting I had quite a few bees on the ground in front of the hives lethargic and then dying.... maybe a coincidence, but the "coincidence" hasn't happened since the planting, and I walk out to my hives daily to visit. Poisoning from this corn is something I am going to consider as a real possibility. Let's see what happens next year and lets hope the bees survive.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Kingsville, OH
    Posts
    965

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    In theory dist from planting seed corn could drift to near by hives. However I would think that the drift would have to be close by within a hundred feet or so. I would be sure to place my hives further away. Also if you have a chance to place a sprinkler in the path of the drift (wind) this would wash the air.
    I am totally against GMO and all these new seeds being Round up Ready. Mark my word within the next five years we will have a new disease that can not be explained.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    jersey, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    44

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    The sprinkler thing is a pretty good idea, I may try that. I agree, I think we will see some issues with GMO's also, but at the very least I would like to be able to choose the food I buy and that is going to be difficult without appropriate labeling. But back on topic, My hives are as far away from the fields as I can get them which is about 80 yards. Again, I'm not sure the problems I had are related to the planting, it could have happened during a crop spray a mile away but the timing was quite coincidental. I am going to monitor it next year and hopefully we don't see this issue again.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Greene, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    405

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    As I said, I saw this on Facebook. I have no knowledge of fact or fiction. However, it does surprise me how easily opinions are verbalized without clarifying supposed facts. People say neonics are bad, neonics are not bad; they cause this, they cause nothing; tests show positive, tests show nothing; no one can believe anything because of the contradictions and confusion.

    My questions to all the nay-sayers are;
    • Did 37 million bees (600 hives) actually die?
    • If they did, is it really coincidence?
    • Who all did the tests?
    • What actual tests were done?
    • How was data collected and analyzed?
    • Were the tests valid, accurate, and reliable?
    • What variables were addressed and controlled, and were there any that weren’t?
    • What external monitoring and accountability was in place?
    GM Charlie; you say it is “not true.”
    • Did you actually investigate?
    • Did you read the actual lab results with scrutiny?
    • Have you studied and done research to formulate true objective deductions?
    • Have you done tests yourself?
    • What are, and where are, the published results of the studies you have done?
    • Have you actually spoken to the man whose bees died?

    Demands for indisputable evidence-based results must be made, and wild opinionated conjecture must be debunked. Lies and suppositions have been muddying the view of the facts so no one can see the truth. What is the TRUTH?
    No one famous.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Lutz, FL, USA
    Posts
    77

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    OK Pontius Pilate. The truth will set you free. I'm sure, sooner or later they will figure out exact mechanism how this particular poison kills bees. They will pat each other on the back and write a paper about it. Meanwhile most of the people came to the same conclusion years before. How did those uneducated unenlightened peasants managed to figure something out that takes scientists decades to figure out? It is called experience. Meanwhile true scientific minds will keep using poison and muse: "How come all the bees are dying?". I think it is Einstein who gave definition of insanity as: "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Delhi, New York, USA
    Posts
    217

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    Artsmart and Paul McCarty

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    24,462

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Earthboy View Post
    Tell you what. Situate your own bees near GM cornfields as many as for three years; put a few dozen colonies, do your experiment, and follow the result. You may not lose yours perhaps, but I have mine under best practice.
    Maybe you have more corn grown in OK than here in my part of NY, but I have never lost hives because they were close to fields of corn. Not as far asd I know. Usually what people see as cause and effect isn't accurate. WE often think emotionally and don't establish the facts. But you could be right in your assumption.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    24,462

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    The use of the number of dead bees is used to attempt to inflate the disaster. Beekeepers usually think about colonies, not individual bees.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Flora,IL
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    GM Charlie; you say it is “not true.”
    • Did you actually investigate?
    • Did you read the actual lab results with scrutiny?
    • Have you studied and done research to formulate true objective deductions?
    • Have you done tests yourself?
    • What are, and where are, the published results of the studies you have done?
    • Have you actually spoken to the man whose bees died?

    Demands for indisputable evidence-based results must be made, and wild opinionated conjecture must be debunked. Lies and suppositions have been muddying the view of the facts so no one can see the truth. What is the TRUTH?

    Actually the QUestions you ask were answered in the article, Bees were tested, nothing found, ownwers response was the same... "it was the corn" It is an undeniable fact that many people refuse to see whats in front of them... We Had a guy last year sqawking the same story... IL state be inspectors investigated and found Foulbrood in every one of his hives... and yet hes still out there claiming they lied, it was GMO......
    Not saying this guy has FB, just saying even when the lab test showed it wasn't pesticides, he refuses to belive...

    Neonics ARE harmful to bees... in fact deadly, and planter dust CAN be a problem... Know what types of planters your farmers are useing and act accordingly... My self we don't put bees next to corn until AFTER its planted.........

    And remember the options..... crop dusters full of pesticides covering EVERTHING, boom sprayers makeing repeated trips, again COVERING EVERYTHING.........
    cars kill people, proven fact, but the overall good far outweighs the options... such is Neonicitoids.......get ALL the facts, instead of just squawking and parroting silly hype, thats my theory... try to understand the real picture.....

    Mowing the grass kills more bees than neonics in my yards.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Otero County, New Mexico, USA
    Posts
    1,310

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    I would have more respect for the GM stuff out there if they were truly GMO instead of simply a vehicle to sell more Round-up. Heck, you can make your own Round-up by mixing vinegar and soap water. Why do we have to be sold a petro-chemical to do the job? If you are going to do GM crops, why not do something where the crops can cope with infertile soil or make more fruit/seed? They just make it tolerant to their chemicals. how does that help humanity? It helps their bottom line, but not so much the world.

    Bee killing is a whole different issue.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Stilwell, KS
    Posts
    1,578

    Default Re: 37 million bees dead

    Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    What is the TRUTH?
    Well it aint on the internet.

    I did a google search on "Dave Schuit + Elmwood" and got a couple thousand hits; all of them repeating the same words in the OP and referencing each other in a giant circle. The circle goes around and around and leads nowhere.

    ALL of the articles, at some point, said something like, "You can view the studies and read more about the story at such and such site.". Then when you click on "such and such" link, the same article appears on another website. Most of the websites where what I would describe as just a little bit flakey. One of the top hits (actually second from the top) was infowars.com.

    Other gems appeared such as

    collective-evolution.com
    abovetopsecret.com
    truthisscary.com
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads