Default New TBH - how long before inspecting?

I ended up with one more swarm than I had hives this week so I quickly threw together a TBH. I installed them today and they seem to be happy in their new home. How long should I give them before I start checking for straight comb?

Default Re: New TBH - how long before inspecting?

Quote Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
    I ended up with one more swarm than I had hives this week so I quickly threw together a TBH. I installed them today and they seem to be happy in their new home. How long should I give them before I start checking for straight comb?
    Swarms are prepared to build comb right away, that's why they are usually so docile, they are about to pop from the honey they've eaten just before swarming so they will have the resources on hand (or in stomach ) to build comb quickly. I would guess at three to four days. Congrats on your new colony.

What kind of guide do you have on your bars and how much space did you give them to occupy? I would also give them three or four days. But next time build it with a window and you'll be able to see what is going on inside any time you like from day one, regardless of the time or season, and without disturbing them. You can tell so much from peering through the window... how much feed they are using when feeding, whether a new queen has been released from her cage, or how the cluster is moving during the winter; and it wouldn't even require you to remove the roof or to put on a veil.

I went with triangular comb guides and gave them all 33 bars for the time being. I've read mixed reviews on using follower boards so I thought I might see what they do on their own before deciding whether or not to use them. This was a hasty midnight build and I didn't have the material to put a window in and I am definitely regretting that. I think I might put together another hive body in the coming weeks with a window and then swap out bodies so I can monitor them more closely.

I think the triangular comb guides work well, also did you take care to level your hive? I like using follower boards but don't think that it's a big deal either way.

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieGardener View Post
    I think the triangular comb guides work well, also did you take care to level your hive? I like using follower boards but don't think that it's a big deal either way.
    It's level now!

Thanks for the reminder.