Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Default Re: 600 Hives Lost in Ontario--CCD/Neonics Suspected Cause

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    One must look for VARIABLES and there are many. Forage in a given year, when they are moved to summer pasturage, when they are moved back out and where bees are wintered, what type of feed they are wintered on, pollen substitues, mite levels, mite treatments, nucing/brood break practices, nosema levels, nosema treatments, pesticide/fungicide exposure, bee types, age and history of comb.....just to name some of the most prominent.
    Bold, my emphasis, but you are right on the mark, Jim. Some are arguing the extreme but most see the evidence supporting neither due to all the variables.
    Regards, Barry

and as Dog mentioned above, he's never heard of CCD being caused by 2 - 3 weeks of exposure, but that is the normal the time that bees will get exposure to neonics in the field

Corn actively produces pollen for 8 days
    canola blooms for 3 weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cryberg View Post
    CCD is not caused by pesticides. Will insecticides kill bees? Of course they will. That is why they are called insecticides. Properly used do they kill any significant number of bees? Nope. No different than cars. Cars kill people. Properly used they do not kill people. With cars you follow the traffic laws. With insecticides you follow the label rules.
    Richard I very much disagree with you.When CCD was first discovered I said it was gmo seeds and pesticides.Just last week on the news scientist said the cause was pesticides.

This Is a good example I have a Bee farm There is not a row crop within 15 miles of my bees and I have not had the first case of CCD.coincidence? I don't think so.

danny,
    that coincidental evidence doesn't hold up nationwide. The CCD footprint doesn't match the neonic usage footprint. there are areas with CCD that are in areas that have no row crops and in there are also thriving bees in the most heavily neonic pesticide treated areas.

CCD also comes in waves. The biggest epicenter was 2006 and 2007. It correlates to other sudden mass dieoffs in previous generations of beekeeping. In my opinion that has more of a pattern as a viral epidemic (one of the nosema viruses could be a possiblity).

If it were GMO and/or pesiticides, then in the year of record neonic treated US harvests of GMO corn, shouldn't this be a record year of CCD?

While I agree that CCD is likely a virus and has repeated through time, Nosema is not a virus. It is a parasite or fungus. Taxonimists cannot make up their minds, but it is not a virus.
    Dave

You're right. Looks like Nosema is either a micosporidian (unicellular parasite) or a fungus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosema_ceranae
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosema_apis

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011