Default Different types of queen excluder

I have handled three different types of queen excluder

-plastic
    -metal
    -metal with wood frame

I currently have a metal excluder bound with a wood frame on my hive. My bees have shown no reluctance to cross the excluder to work on the comb or put honey in the super above the excluder. I chose the wood bound excluder after reading that this type is better for maintaining bee-space for the girls than with a plastic or metal sheet-type excluder laid directly on top of the hive body box. It also provides a nice even seal or "stacking surface" between the wood lips of the hive body and the supers, and I like that too.

I am noticing after a few weeks of use that the interior slot in the wood frame (that is, the slot where the metal excluder "sheet" is inserted into the wood frame) seems to be an EXCELLENT place for small hive beetles to shelter. Now I am rethinking if this style should be my preferred type of excluder. With a basic plastic or metal sheet of queen excluder without the wood frame at the perimeter, I assume there is not any extra nook to harbor SHB inside the hive? Is there a down side to using a flat metal or plastic excluder instead of the wood bound type I have on now?
    Last edited by bemocked; 07-01-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    Cheryl
    "Luck favors the prepared!"

Default Re: Different types of queen excluder

I use the metal excluder with no concerns. SHB is a large issue here, as well. I was told by a longgggg time beekeeper to never use the plastic excluder, so I never have. Thanks for posting this question...I have always wondered about the wood framed metal excluders...now I am glad I have stuck to the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by bemocked View Post
    Is there a downside to using a flat metal or plastic excluder instead of the wood bound type I have on now?
    The plastic one is more difficult to clean (if you do clean them)...I use the all metal one except when I use the wood bound type (which I have many). I like the wood bound one because I always painted it a different color and could see at a glance if I had one on the hive... Have not noticed that SHB beetles hide in them...perhaps I need to look further....

As I'm sure you know, the wood bound metal excluder is about twice the cost of the plain metal, and the only thing it has going for it is a more proper bee space, I use the all metal excluder and although I do get a bit of burr comb attaching the tops and bottoms of the frames to the excluder, its no big deal. To me, the cost savings outweighs the disadvantages by a long shot. John

Keep in mind that a place for SHB to "hide" is also a place for the bees to "corral" small hive beetles...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I hear you Michael........so are what it is that you are saying is that we should provide places for bees to "corral" SHB's?

J
    Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    I hear you Michael........so are what it is that you are saying is that we should provide places for bees to "corral" SHB's?
    I'll second that question, is the presence of this type of small crevice a desireable thing?
    Cheryl
    "Luck favors the prepared!"

>I hear you Michael........so are what it is that you are saying is that we should provide places for bees to "corral" SHB's?

Not necessarily. I'm saying I'm not sure if they are good or bad, but I suspect they are good. Maybe a cd case with an 1/8" hole for the beetles to get in...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I'm thinking that the fewest places that the SHB can get into (that the bees can't) is not good. It gives the SHB a place to lay their eggs that bees cannot remove.