Default Would you risk buying these supplies? Can mites wipe out this many colonies?

My husband has been in contact with a Craigslist seller who is selling around 300 hive bodies for very low prices and all sorts of used equipment. Of course we'd love some drawn comb frames for our slow starting colonies as well as some other things, but...

The seller said he lost 80% of his hives this past year, but that he's "pretty sure" it was due to varroa mites. Could varroa mites really wipe out THAT many colonies in one season? Because I'm pretty skeptical and concerned about bringing diseased equipment in to use with our two, young colonies. Part of me really thinks it's not worth the risk.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Would you risk buying these supplies? Can mites wipe out this many colonies?

And sorry...I didn't mean to post this in Beekeeping 101, I accidentally clicked this forum instead of the regular one.

Default Re: Would you risk buying these supplies? Can mites wipe out this many colonies?

No worries, Yes mites could wipe out that many... the question is what risk are you willing to take. AFB< EFB and nurmorous other reason are possible.... I you buy them be sure to leave them out in sunshine open for at least 24 hours. thats been proven to kill most of the EFB spores...(not AFB) and I would keep them segragated for a while....
    Keep in mind I am not against buying used, just be sure of the story and take reasonable care, and price it accordingly.

With used comb you are buying residues of whatever chemicals have been used in the hive to control mites, disease etc. You need to have confidence that the answers to your questions are factual. To buy 300 boxes when you have two hives is a very big jump. Only you can answer if the risk/reward is appropriate for you. What gmcharlie says is good advice. I think I would walk away from this deal, at least with the info that I have now. At a minimum have someone who knows what AFB scale looks like (and has seen it before) check out the equipment before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    thats been proven to kill most of the EFB spores...
    Not to be picky...and I hope you don't take it that way, but EFB does not form spores.
    Other than that, advice is spot on.

I would be really nervous about buying used equipment. If I did, I think I would throw all the frames and wax into a pile and burn it. Then I would scorch the mess out of the box.

It's just not worth the risk IMO.
    Try it. What could happen?

Take a look at it, look for scale and smell the wax. Mites could do it, you can lose those kind of numbers just with a bad winter as well.