Default Rain rain go away

I am not sure all this rain we are getting in the Northeast is good or bad. It has rained on and off for the last week and more is on the way. I just wish it would clear up a bit to allow the bees to forage. How is everyone else fairing out there?
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

Default Re: Rain rain go away

I complained last year about the rain, and it stopped for 3-4 months. I hate to say any thing this year. My garden got dry enough to till and I tilled it, I went to get seed it rained by the time I got home and every other day sense.

I was just debating this very thing on my bike ride this morning (a wet humid foggy ride). I know my bees are a bit agitated with the rain but I see them coming and going (just not as much). Looks like it might be nicer for a bit after Wednesday!

Here in southeast Ohio we keep getting a combination of rain and sunshine, it does not seem to affect the bees they are still gathering nectar. After last years dry summer this rain is a welcome site to me but I know that there are a lot of people out there who are getting more than they actually need.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Rain rain go away
    Go out West, out Ray's way
    Don't be slow
    Giddy up and go
    Cool down the West, out Ray's way

i will gladly take it. we had measurable rain at our house friday evening for the first time since mid-May.
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Hot and humid here - a little actual rain might be welcome. The bees are busy at any rate. The National Weather Service has issued Thunderstorm and flash flood warnings for my area this tonight. Hopefully this won't interfere with my prep for moving colonies in the morning. I leave colonies behind the bear fence on the Gator ready to get moved to the truck in the morning.

Is "rain" that wet stuff that falls from the sky? You will have to take a picture cause I can't remember what it looks like.

Here in eastern NC it has rained for the past 3 weeks, somedays all day and somedays once a day but it has rained everyday. Every dang time I go to work the hives it is either raining or starts to pour about the time I get into a hive. I am sick of rain. I can't even mow my yard.

Here is southeast TN we have had rain off and on every other day it seems like. We are 13 inches over the normal average, at the start of spring I was thinking this was a bad thing. However, it has been on one the best honey flows in a long time. At guy at my bee club said that clover will make nectar for three days after a rain, so everytime it rains the clover makes more nectar. The clover is still blooming, something I have never seen in July.

after the drought last year the rain was welcomed, may was above normal, june was the 6th wet'st since records were kept and that was b/4 the end of the month, we have gotten two inches today, We had a couple of nice days and I had to use a 4 wheeler to get into my yards and pull locust honey, one yard I haven't been into since early may, wonder what they are doing, but I managed to go into hives at the house, and they have put nectar in the supers that I have put back on, the rest are heavier now that two weeks ago, but I'm starting to think it's just because the humidity is so high the honey is absorbing water from the air. still will take the rain over no rain, but I would like to put my sun glasses on this summer.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

We need it to stop. We dodged a bullet at the complex I manage but not by far.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps2e212af0.jpg
    http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps81b09cbb.jpg

In the middle of the road between the two buildings it was up to my knees and I had all I could do to keep my balance when crossing.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

The rain we have been getting for the last week or so has reduced the foraging during our main flow to near zilch. Tonnage is dropping each hour this continues.

Quote Originally Posted by dadandsonsbees View Post
    I am sick of rain. I can't even mow my yard.
    Now that's the most depressing story I've read so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    We need it to stop. We dodged a bullet at the complex I manage but not by far.

http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps2e212af0.jpg
    http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps81b09cbb.jpg

In the middle of the road between the two buildings it was up to my knees and I had all I could do to keep my balance when crossing.
    Don't tell me there are hives in there somewhere!
    "Someday we will look back and realize someone was right...and conveniently forget we were the ones that were wrong."

12 days straight Of rain or some shower. At least 2 yards that I can't get into. Unless I want to walk half mile.

Quote Originally Posted by dnichols View Post
    Don't tell me there are hives in there somewhere!
    Well not on the complex but I can almost throw a stone and be in a yard that has 5 hives. I thought about knocking on the guys door.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

it rained here on west coast bc for 2 weeks straight 16C highs, now it is 35C and sunny with no wind at all, within 2 days but on the plus side bees are flying again