Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: I know, Another 'when to stop feeding question'

Michael, thanks for such a definitive answer.

I gotta ask as a newbee... how do you know when a flow is on? Is it as simple as time of year and there are lots of flowers blooming or is it observation of what and how much the bees are bringing in? Is it a Zone thing? Is it all of the above?

How does a first year beek know when that flow is happening and just as important I assume, how do you know when it has stopped?

>I gotta ask as a newbee... how do you know when a flow is on?

There is usually a steady stream of bees with a real sense of purpose coming and going from the same direction many with pollen. Lots of organized and purposeful effort.

> Is it as simple as time of year and there are lots of flowers blooming

That too. You can see things you know are honey plants blooming.

> Is it a Zone thing?

Weather always affects the flow. It can set things back or forward as much as +- a month.

>How does a first year beek know when that flow is happening and just as important I assume, how do you know when it has stopped?

The bees get testy quickly when the flow stops. They are much more intently guarding what they have. There is still traffic, but that traffic is not as steady and organized and going in the same direction. You also will see them a lot more around your house (if the beeyard is at your house) just looking around.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

excelent info Michael, I would add that weather has a huge impact on Flow, but not much on timeing of the plants. Most plants work of daylight, so their "flows" are regulated more by sunlight than weather....
    This year is a perfect example... real late spring I was thinking the flows from late spring and summer would run together... Nope... Just like clockwork, first weak of june hives started looseing weight, pollen stopped...

Last year everything bloomed a month early here. This year everything is blooming a month late...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

same here Micheal. Star thistle has just barely started and clover only 2-3 weeks ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12