Default New Queen Question

Not really concerned, just a question...Last week (Monday early PM) I installed a new queen into a hive that I had carefully inspected to be sure that it was queenless. The queen had been in the cage for some time so she was ready to come out. I checked the hive today (Tuesday early PM) and found an empty cage, eggs, larva and capped brood. Everything I read tells me that it takes 9 days after an egg is laid for the girls to cap the cell. Are my bees just really fast??? Can they cap sooner? My math tells me the only way this queen can have capped brood is if they released her the day I put her in and she started laying that night. Didn't mess around in the hive to find the new queen but I did find eggs for the first time in 3 weeks. What's going on here?

Default Re: New Queen Question

They may have released her right way. If they had been queenless for some time.

Agree with Ben. I bet they broke her out super fast and she got to work.
    Try it. What could happen?

Thanks for the replies! Do they ever cap brood sooner than 9 days?

Or maybe you missed a queen cell and they raised their own. Was the queen marked that you installed? If so it will be interesting to see if you still have a marked queen when you do your next inspection.

She was marked. Just didn't want to root around with her today. They had swarm cells several weeks ago, maybe one mates and came back home at the exact time I put a new one in.. Stranger things have happened. :-)