Thread: Split Question

Default Split Question

I plan on splitting a hive and letting them raise their own queen and I'm wondering, since they will be queenless for a few weeks, if they are going to turn really pissy? Currently they are very gentle and I can mow the grass right next to the hive without any problems but I've heard that being queenless changes their attitudes. Or is it really not a big deal since there are so many less bees in the split?

Default Re: Split Question

It depends.

On the bees, mostly.

I've made splits where gentle bees kept right on being gentle enough to work in shorts and a t shirt.
    I've had other splits, in the same yard, from the same grandmother queen, that got cranky for a while.

That's with both splits being treated identically.

I'm sure I'll find out the hard way =)

What I've noticed is that they will get more grumpy as the time for the queen cells to emerge gets close, like 10 to 12 days after the split. Once the cells emerge, they calm down again. And, they don't seem to get that much more grumpy, if they were a calm beehive to start with.

This is what I've noticed most times, but beware that bee hives are like people... We all have different attitudes with good days and bad days, depending on circumstances.

Some of my nucs could be worked buk neked. Some would be difficult in a space suit. Anymore I tend to write the date on top of the box and don't open for 30 days. By then all is usually well.

> if they are going to turn really pissy?

Most of them don't to any noticeable degree. Some do. Hopelessly queenless bees are usually not in a good mood, but bees with queen cells are not hopelessly queenless...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF