Default where did this queen cell come from?

Stumped. 9 days ago I put a cloaking board on top of a brood nest, brought up some brood frames and resources and let it sit for 7 days. Yesterday I put the cloak board on blocking the bottom from the top to get the bees to make some queen cells above it. It is 100 degrees the past two days, the bees were very upset, bearding, I did not believe it was working; I took the board out 5 hours later.

This morning I wanted to take the cloake board and queen excluder off and put them back the way they were; there is a capped queen cell in the middle of the brood frame I had put up there 9 days ago> capped! Is this an emergency cell already in the making I missed? How could it appear so quickly and why? I'm pretty sure the queen was fine, the brood I put up was all stages including eggs obviously, now there is a capped queen cell, capped brood. Were they going to supercede her?

I did take it and put it in a queen castle with more resources but now wondering maybe they were not queen right to begin with and this could be a mistake.

But I also remember some of you saying bees make emergency queen cells all the time.. and if the queen could not get to it because of the queen excluder...

thoughts?

thanks!

Default Re: where did this queen cell come from?

Quote Originally Posted by CaBees View Post
    thoughts?
    You elevated brood above an excluder, the bees felt they were queenless, and they started emergency cells.

Just seems fast! I see from Michael Bush's site they can cap a cell in 8 + -1 days but...
    tp://www.bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm

why use a cloake board if they are just going to do that without a cloake board? All they had was a queen excluder so they should smell the queen. This is the best scenario of course, that I still have my original queen and now a new one for the queen castle... just a surprise I guess. thanks!

In my cell builders, I place a box of brood above an excluder 10 days before graft. About 20% of the time there will be emergency cells on grafting day...which must be removed before graft is added.

The capped queen cell was started 9 days ago with a four day old larva. It was capped five days ago. It will emerge 3 days from now if the weather isn't too hot. Otherwise it might emerge 2 days from now.

http://bushfarms.com/beesmath.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF