Thread: Swarm Help?????

Default Swarm Help?????

I installed a new package in early May and it built up really quick. I was opening every week until mid June and everything was fine and I added the second deep and it too was building quickly. I checked on Saturday and still had 3 frames not drawn out but had 3 supercedure cells on the bottom frames. This morning I discovered the hive had swarmed to a small nearby tree. I had another deep so I moved the swarm into it but now I don't know what to do. Should I move some brood from the original into the swarm or should I try to re-combine the two again or what? I'm a newbie so I'm lost???????? Please help! Thanks

Default Re: Swarm Help?????

Well, just off the cuff, I would say to build the swarm into another hive and let the other hive make a queen for itself - assuming the queen is in the swarm of course.

So, what part of the Gate to Hell do you live? Those are my old stomping grounds too.
    No one famous.

Thanks! The Queen is with the swarm. So do you think I should I move a couple of frames of brood over to the new one?

I live about a mile west of the Hellgate canyon entrance, up on the hill above the old K-mart...

It never hurts to add some brood; especially when they are already hers. You'll probably want to make sure any queen cells remain in the original hive so they don't have to start from scratch. Besides, you don't need them in the new hive anyway.

I lived up the Rattlesnake a ways, but that was many years ago. Grew up on Flathead Lake. Still have family up there. I miss the NW.
    No one famous.

Smile Re: Swarm Help?????

Thanks again, I'll move a couple over today.

We had a cabin on Kings Point for many years, then on Queens Bay for another few years and my family still has property there. Jurasek is the name. Where do you live now?

Thanks again. Scott.....

Springfield, Missouri. Came here to finish school 18 years ago, and kids got hitched, had kids, and now we are here for the duration. I miss my mountains.
    No one famous.