Not sure yet if I will be extracting honey this fall or next but wanting to start getting the supplies I need and making sure I have all of my ducks in an order.
Right now I have 1 hive, I might work my way up to about 3 hives total over the next few years. I am thinking a 2 frame extractor should work fine.
Here is what I have read but please add or change any of these steps.
1) Pull the super boxes and store them for a few days in a cool dry place. Thinking my basement should work good. (is it important to store for a few day and if so, why?)
2) Put in uncapping tank. (is an uncapping tank necessary? if so is there a way I could make one out of a plastic tote?)
3) Uncap honey. (I am guessing a heated uncapping knife would work best. What are other good options?)
4) Put in extractor, spin honey out.
5) Drain honey from extractor to bottling bucket. ( do i need a bottling bucket or can I put straight from extractor to jars/containers I am going to put my final honey product in?)
Do I need some kind of strainer to go from the extractor/bottling bucket to the final jars? Would a normal kitchen strainer work?
All tips would be appreciated