Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Laws on bottling.

Does anyone know what the law is on using used jars for the sale of honey? Do the lids have to be sealed? Etc. is it different in each state?

I had someone offer me several 6lb honey jars that have previously been used for honey.
    As Grandma says "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me"

Default Re: Laws on bottling.

You will need to check with your states department of food for the proper guidelines. If you are selling a lot of honey I would recommend staying away from selling honey in used containers.

In MO I use canning jars, they do not have to be sealed & as long as I can wash the jars I reuse the ones that are brought back. I do not pay for or discount honey for the ones brought back since W-M is so cheap on new ones. Your state AG or health dept. web site is where you will find the correct information for your state requiremnets.

Ditto what was already stated above.

I don't see why, as long as the jars are well washed, anyone would hesitate using previously used jars. You might want to use new lids though. Used lids could be rusty.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I am in Il so I can help... your not requred anything special until you exceded 500 gallons. after that you need an state approved food prep location for extraction/bottleing.

Thanks gmcharlie. I don't plan on reusing very many jars, however, since I am a small operation I don't think I'll mind the occasional used jar.

I give $1 off the next jar ($10) if one of my customers brings me my "clean" jar back. It doesn't save me a whole dollar, but it does bring them back.
    "Teach your kids to hunt and fish, and you won't have to hunt for your kids"
    Four Ridge Apiaries www.fourridgebees.com

We use mason jars with new lids. Jars are kept warm until they are filled - 100% pop (seal themselves) after honey is added straight from the extractor (filtered of course). We offer $3 back for returned jars.

Off top a little. I'm familiar with canning and sealing, but we always use a pressure cooker. How do your jars seal without heating the honey?

Bolter, 3.00?? what do canning jars cost up there? around here I can buy a dozen for 8.00......

110 degree honey and a good warmed jar will usualy seal on its own. but its doesn't matter if it does or not. dry honey won't spoil.
    We use a lot of canning jars for honey with a chunk of comb...

Gm, I kinda thought that. I am not to interested in heating the honey. I prefer to keep it raw. I just thought some customers might prefer the jar to be sealed.

I would like to sell my honey for enough that I could give 3.00 back on each returned jar. That is more then a third of a case of quart jars here.

heating it to 110 or so does absolutly no harm... no different than a hot day. and it claifies and bottles a LOT better. Its still also considered raw honey.

Quote Originally Posted by rtoney View Post
    I would like to sell my honey for enough that I could give 3.00 back on each returned jar.
    Why don't you just sell your honey at a price which includes the cost of the jar so you can buy new jars and not have to handle the used jars. I find washing and especially getting the labels off of the jars a real pain. Something I'd rather not do.

Why would you pay more for a used jar than you would a new jar? I can buy new 5lb jars for about $2.00 each. Are you paying more than that for canning jars?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    I am in Il so I can help... your not requred anything special until you exceded 500 gallons. after that you need an state approved food prep location for extraction/bottleing.
    I would double check that. I'm not doubting that you are not required to have a approved food prep facility for less than 500 gallons.
    I'd be surprised if you were not required to follow the same procedures and guidelines for handling and cleanliness as any food facility even though you are not being inspected, not required to have a 3 bay sink, etc. You still have to abide by all health codes (sans the requirement to work in an inspected facillity) even if you are not being inspected.
    You likely still need an inspected facility if you are wholesaling to stores (ie, if the mini mart is carrying your honey, you are wholesaling it to them).
    I don't know the details of the IL law, but it is not as simplisitic as "there are no requirements under 500 gallons"
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

nope.... And I think that the 500 gallons was intened to be 500lbs, but not going to point it out... and we sell to several stores.....
    Next year some areas are going to require a "food preparer permit" to sell at farmers markets and such... not sure how thats going to effect us yet

heating it to 110 or so does absolutly no harm... no different than a hot day. and it claifies and bottles a LOT better. Its still also considered raw honey.
    To most of the community that values "raw food" (not just honey), 108 seems to be the magic number. There is no legal definition of "raw", so you can use it to describe honey that has been heated to 200...but if your target market wants "raw" according to the under 108 number, selling them raw honey that has been heated to 110 won't really work (assuming you are open and honest).

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

What I am trying to do is to be able to say I have done nothing but filter the honey for removal of wax or other large objects. That's what my customers are after.

nope.... And I think that the 500 gallons was intened to be 500lbs, but not going to point it out... and we sell to several stores.....
    Next year some areas are going to require a "food preparer permit" to sell at farmers markets and such... not sure how thats going to effect us yet
    Ok I looked it up...interesting wording:
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs...4&ChapterID=35
    If the honey is "adulterated" in any way (liquid honey), then none of these protections apply. You can have cats all over your small honey house...as long as the honey isn't adultrated, no one can regulate that (well, I think the feds can). The minute there is a cat hair in the jar, you no longer have unadulterated honey, you are no longer protected, and inspectors come in, cite you with both not having an inspected facility (you only don't need an inspected facility if you are selling comb honey or unadulterated extracted hone), and all the actual code violations (pets in the room, no slop sink, no 3 bay sink, hot water not hot enough, no washable walls, plumbing not copper all the way to the main, floor not sealed, etc).
    How about a little sugar feed in the honey...or a bee leg?
    The minute the dept determines that any of your product is adulterated in any way, you are subject to inspection and regulation.

deknow

Quote Originally Posted by Edaw View Post
    What I am trying to do is to be able to say I have done nothing but filter the honey for removal of wax or other large objects. That's what my customers are after.
    ...so do that and say that.

deknow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast