Default I have 3 solid bottom board hives and I've got Varroa what should I do?

Hi guys,

I just did an inspection on my hive today and found out I've got Varroa mites and I have horizontal langs, how and what should I use to treat the problem?

Thanks,
    Vancity

Default Re: I have 3 solid bottom board hives and I've got Varroa what should I do?

I would use apiguard (THYMOL GEL). Thymol products that are legal in Canada are very very effective against some diseases and they kill tracheal mites as well as varroa destructor too. I have used many other treatments and prefer Thymol products to all others. Here in the USA I can only use one thymol product. It is placed on top of the brood boxes and left for 2 weeks then replaced another two weeks.It is made from a correct time released dose of essential oil of thyme and it will make the honey taste bad if you do not take off the honey boxes while you treat. You will see a lot of dead mites in about 2 days and it will really surprise you. Do NOT overdose the treatment because it is almost too strong.

Default Re: I have 3 solid bottom board hives and I've got Varroa what should I do?

Yes, the thymol or formic acid products are effective and do not contaminate the wax. A product called Hopguard also works well, but will take 3 applications to get the mites in the cells.

Check the internet, there also thymol strips available. I have very good results with it, I can cut the strips to the dosage I need.

If I'm not mistaken Canada allows oxalic acid vaporizing. I hear its very effective.
    Dan

Are you on double deeps or singles? How many frames of bees? And what is your mite load? What's your high and low temps right now?

Be sure to test after treatment. Don't just apply the treatment and assume it worked perfectly. You may need to treat at a later date in this season.
    Zone 9b. Second year newb.

Everyone has varroa all the time. You need to be concerned about how many mites you have. Here's an article that tells you how to check on mite load and offers recommended treatment thresholds. http://bees.msu.edu/2010/varroacheck/ I'd recommend apiguard as the treatment of choice.

>I just did an inspection on my hive today and found out I've got Varroa mites and I have horizontal langs, how and what should I use to treat the problem?

Everyone has Varroa in all their hives all the time. I haven't treated most of my hives for 13 years and I haven't treated any of my hives for 10 years and have no plans to ever treat them again.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

The hives cann't get away from Varroa. I find good queen survior stock aclimated to your area and I keep thymol strips on hand just in case loads get too high.