Default Bees "cleaning" equipment

I know you can put your frames back in the hive for bees to clean. I have seen that people put their extractors etc out for the bees to clean. Some sy too close to the hives will cause robbing. Yet today when I set some equipment about forty yards away from my hives they didn't really find the dirty dishes. I was afraid raccoons would get into the dishes after dark. How close is too close? what do others do?
    Thanks Hoss

Default Re: Bees "cleaning" equipment

Your flow is still on....the girls won't clean up their leftovers when there is still fresh forage out there. Clean it up before the ants and other critters get it. Honey super frames you can drop back into a super in place of a couple frames they aren't yet working. The rest of the stuff they probably won't touch until August (or when the flow stops). Just hose it off/out. FWIW..."Clean-ups' for me, always end up ugly, with bees drowned in puddles of honey. I don't do it anymore. I save the clean up yield for feeding in the winter through a jar or hive top. Open feeding has always been a disaster for ME....You can form your own opinion. I am super stoked you got honey already!!! I think you need a new queen, though... Great job Hoss!

You can put it 10' from the hives, but if the flow is on, they won't touch it. As I said, other than dropping dirty frames in hives, I don't bother anymore. It always ends up in bee deaths....robbing, or not.

Edited to add....I have had good success with the bees cleaning out capping shavings after I let them drain for a few days. You'd be surprised how much honey you can get from the cappings alone. Put the shavings out for the bees on a large sheet tray on a cool day, and you get back wax light as a feather. But again, this is usually after the flow has stopped. HTH!
    Last edited by Bees In Miami; 06-30-2013 at 12:47 AM.

Then I will just clean it myself for now and put the two frames back in a super. I will save my cappings till after i do a big extraction. Thanks for the help again! Hoss

Bees will empty full frames or clean frames if placed above an inner cover and a spacer. I use a 3" vent box immediately above the inner cover. It is a 3 inch high "super" with two 1" holes on each side covered with 1/8 screen.

Super with frames to clean, is above vent box. Scratch caps off and bees will move honey down to what they consider the hive below the inner cover.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!