Default Over Wintering NUC'S

I want to start over wintering NUC'S this winter. I live in s.PA. My question manly is around how much food would they require to go through the winter? Do you place a second NUC box on top for food storage? Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Over Wintering NUC'S

Jeff, the short answer is for me 55 pounds of feed over both of the nuc boxes. I am linking Michael Palmers videos here which have a lot of answers about the process.
    I saw pollen coming in to some of my first batch of nucs yesterday (10 days after queen emergence) I am queenright and have new eggs in 7 out of the 10. I'll leave it another 11 days before I give up on the others.
    http://vimeo.com/23178333
    http://vimeo.com/23234196

Look up Michael Palmer's work in this area...There is a video presentation somewhere with Mr. Palmer, explaining the concept of Sustainable Apiary...lots of good info in it on over wintering nucs. There are some threads here on BSource also.
    I am bit more south than you, and I was overwintering some of my colonies in nucs. Some 2 deep 5 Frames, some 3 deep 5 frames. Love it. They were the first to "explode" this spring.
    How much food would they require? Depends on a lot of things, flow in the fall, strength of the colony, genetics of your bees.... But I tell you what...it is much easier to observe them, feed them if necessary than it is a full size 2 deep or 3 deep colony.
    Mine did well just on the little goldenrod flow I had, and the reserves they had on the side frames. The Carnie type bees seemed to need less than my Italian based lines...so, you'll have to see how yours will go. Just try it...you'll like it and will soon realize what a great resource these nucs can be.
    Good luck!

55 lbs over a nuc? Seems excessive. My full sized colonies made it on less.
    I'm trying the nucs myself this year and plan on addind a second (5 frame) nuc on top for storage.
    This will give me a total of ten frames per nuc.
    Nucs ARE a great resource.

Before I worried about how much food to leave a nuc, or any hive for that matter going into winter, you better make sure there are no mite issues and if there are, treat. Hives with bad mite problems don't eat much during winter. John