Re: Why not to use a screened bottom board
1. With bottom entrances, you lose a good bit of pollen on the screens which seem to act as a pollen trap. I now have top entrances for most of my colonies and this not a problem anymore.
2. I have used trays but don't anymore because my theory is that our fire ants take better care of anything that hits the ground then the trays do. That being said, especially during the winters and early spring, the queen doesn't lay in lower part of the frames towards the screened bottoms.
3. I have a few solid bottoms and the colonies seem to overall do better; but I am small cell and don't have mite problems.
4. Since I have top entrances, seems to me like during cold weather there is to much of a draft from screened bottoms.
5. Screened bottoms are more expensive and harder to make.
"I only regret that I have but one life to lose for my country." Nathan Hale, 1776