Thread: beesleeville

Default beesleeville

Hello,
    We are new to beekeeping. We stared a hive in 2011 and lost our bees in the spring of 2012. We now want to renew the hive. It is June 29th and we live in hardiness group 4b. Can we start our bees this late in the season and are there any special measures to take when starting this late. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: beesleeville

Hi,
    I would.
    Get a nice, strong nuc from one of the local beekeepers. Feed and observe. Do a mite count and treat if necessary. By time fall/winter rolls in, if you take care of it it will get strong enough with plenty reserves to go through winter. Learn by observing and "listening" to those bees...and enjoy. Good luck!
    Last edited by apis maximus; 06-29-2013 at 09:24 AM.

yes you can. the only problem may be finding some. bees are a bit scarce this year. if you can get some do as apis said all will bee fine

I put a couple hives up in the North Country at the end of May, from nucs. When I installed them, I was in a bit of a panic, because I saw no eggs or larvae. I asked around in St. Lawrence County, and found a guy who sold nucs, and asked him about queens or queen cells. He didn't have any, but he offered to call around to the folks who'd bought bees from him and see if anyone had a cell they could spare. His daughter and her husband had just made splits, and he thought they might have cells left. I talked to them and we took a look at their hives, but didn't find any cells we liked. So they offered to give me a couple of frames with eggs, which was very kind. When I took these back to the place to install them, 5 days after I'd installed the nucs, the combs were full of eggs in both hives. So, I felt like an idiot, but when I took the frames back to them, I brought an empty nuc box with me, and asked them to start a nuc for me, which they were happy to do. I wanted to get some of those genetics, because the guy is a treatment free beekeeper who has pretty good survival in a pretty harsh climate.

Anyway, the point of this story is that if you can find someone with strong hives, they may be willing to start a nuc for you-- or alternately, sell you frames and bees, and you could order a mated queen.

Welcome!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com