Default Sunflower seed for smoker fuel?

Hi all. So I grew about a dozen mammoth sunflowers this year and I have waaay more seed than I need. Was wondering if they might make good smoker fuel? I really don't see any reason they wouldn't.. Other than maybe being somewhat hollow makes them burn up quick?

Default Re: Sunflower seed for smoker fuel?

I imagine once they are dried good they will burn to some degree and give off smoke. Never heard of using them that way, but go ahead and try it, let us know how it goes. John

Even assuming they're dry, they might have a hard time lighting since they're so dense, but if you get a good fire going before putting them in, that shouldn't be a problem. I also encountered this with an old cotton sock that I needed to get rid of, which burned decently well once I got it lit.
    I turn into Pooh Bear if I'm cutting out honey-laden burr comb...

Hello everyone,
    I've just started using wood pellets, and they work very nicely and seem to last a long time, and produce alot of smoke. The trick to smokers I am finding, is purchasing a large one ... the smaller ones that will come with the kits are fine once you get them going.