Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

first taste of our honey

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Charles Sen 
#1 ·
This is my first year as a beekeeper. I wasn't prepared to have honey, I was told many times that you don't get honey the first year. I hadn't purchased anything for extracting. (thinking I would have a year to figure what method to use etc.) well the one have has three honey supers on it! So. During the last inspection my step daughter and I saw that some of the frames were almost fully capped. Today we took two frames and did a crush and strain with what we have in our kitchen. We got two quarts and a pint of honey from two frames! It was a lot of fun doing this together, she has been nervous even in her suit around the bees. Yet she has helped make make frames and paint our two hives so I was glad she got to see and taste some honey today. Hoss"s BBQ Honey

See less See more
#6 ·
I got lucky! We had one hive swarm and its still filling the second brood box. I was hoping to get some extracting equipment in August when the bee supply companies come to the local symposium. Hoping to save on shipping etc. Also I spent most of last year learning about how to take care of the bees and get my hives ready. Not figuring out how I would extract my honey. Hoss

#8 ·
Thanks! I watched a video that the Fat Beeman did on doing honey extracting on the cheap! I am a chef, I know Bees In Miami from that side of my life, she suggested just using my Chinois that I have to strain the honey! it worked just as good as straining a sauce. I know that I wont have drawn comb next year if do all my frames this way. Hoss

#11 ·
It was very floral! The smell as we were cutting the comb was amazing. My fiancee Jess said it reminded her of eating honey suckle. I think for sure I need to replace the queen!: shhhh: I did put other frames back that weren't fully capped so I felt these two were good enough to steal! Thanks for all of the advice!
Hoss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.