Default first taste of our honey

This is my first year as a beekeeper. I wasn't prepared to have honey, I was told many times that you don't get honey the first year. I hadn't purchased anything for extracting. (thinking I would have a year to figure what method to use etc.) well the one have has three honey supers on it! So. During the last inspection my step daughter and I saw that some of the frames were almost fully capped. Today we took two frames and did a crush and strain with what we have in our kitchen. We got two quarts and a pint of honey from two frames! It was a lot of fun doing this together, she has been nervous even in her suit around the bees. Yet she has helped make make frames and paint our two hives so I was glad she got to see and taste some honey today. Hoss"s BBQ Honey

Default Re: first taste of our honey

Ah! Perfection!

Pretty Awesome. How much did you get off of each frame?

we got to quart mason jars and one point mason jar from two medium frames. we ran 10 frame boxes. I cleary don't have drawn comb to put bac on the hives yet I do have honey!
    Hoss

I'm jealous!
    Looks so exciting. I'm not supposed to have honey either this year.
    I'll be ready for next though!

I got lucky! We had one hive swarm and its still filling the second brood box. I was hoping to get some extracting equipment in August when the bee supply companies come to the local symposium. Hoping to save on shipping etc. Also I spent most of last year learning about how to take care of the bees and get my hives ready. Not figuring out how I would extract my honey. Hoss

Hoss, looks like you just used plastic foundation and harvested the honey by scraping the comb off the foundation? Good way to do it when you don't have extracting equipment. John

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    Hoss, looks like you just used plastic foundation and harvested the honey by scraping the comb off the foundation? Good way to do it when you don't have extracting equipment. John
    Thanks! I watched a video that the Fat Beeman did on doing honey extracting on the cheap! I am a chef, I know Bees In Miami from that side of my life, she suggested just using my Chinois that I have to strain the honey! it worked just as good as straining a sauce. I know that I wont have drawn comb next year if do all my frames this way. Hoss

Hoss'...You got some kick butt hives there! THRILLED to see you getting honey so soon, but knowing you well, you KNEW you could take that honey!!! Beautiful!!! I hope it tastes as good as it looks! NICE job! (You think you should re-queen now????) Sorry....private joke...lol....You, and your hives, are Kicking some Butt!!! Well done!

Very pretty comb and honey. Sourwood perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    Hoss'...You got some kick butt hives there! THRILLED to see you getting honey so soon, but knowing you well, you KNEW you could take that honey!!! Beautiful!!! I hope it tastes as good as it looks! NICE job! (You think you should re-queen now????) Sorry....private joke...lol....You, and your hives, are Kicking some Butt!!! Well done!
    It was very floral! The smell as we were cutting the comb was amazing. My fiancee Jess said it reminded her of eating honey suckle. I think for sure I need to replace the queen!: shhhh: I did put other frames back that weren't fully capped so I felt these two were good enough to steal! Thanks for all of the advice!
    Hoss

Quote Originally Posted by tsmullins View Post
    Very pretty comb and honey. Sourwood perhaps?
    I'm not sure. I am not good enough at this to tell where they are getting their nectar from. It has a very floral taste. My fiancee says it taste like when you used to eat honey suckle. Hoss

Beautiful looking honey comb, there! Congrats on a productive hive.

Wonderful pictures. You've given that kid a memory that will always be with her.

What perfect comb, congratulations! I hope mine look as good as that when I do my first robbing!