Default Laying worker need help

Hey yall, and thanks Rusty. I have a laying worker hive that I was able to successfully re queen. My problem is that I see alot of drone cells and fear the worker is still laying, the queen is fine and laying but I think i have a 2 queen hive in essence. Will the laying worker die off in a normal worker cycle of life, or will she be a problem for a longer period of time, and if so, what are my options. Thanks for any input......G

Default Re: Laying worker need help

It may be the case that you are seeing the drones that were laid by the worker. It will take 26 days for them to hatch and clear out. If you have a laying queen in there you're in good shape. Sleep easy.
    Try it. What could happen?

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    It may be the case that you are seeing the drones that were laid by the worker. It will take 26 days for them to hatch and clear out. If you have a laying queen in there you're in good shape. Sleep easy.
    Thanks jay, I may sleep a little easier now, there are some drone cells on the frame I put in there when I introduced the queen, perhaps she is just trying to get things in order. i have noticed a few drones not completely developed, on the outside of the hive, hopefully they are trying to make things right. I am going to give her another frame of brood, without bees tommorrow to boost the hive, no drawbacks there is it? Thanks G

There's no problem with that. It will definitely help them out.

As far as those drones on the outside of the hive. You might have bees that are showing some hygienic behavior. IE, they are removing pupae that have mites or some other issue. Check those drone pupae for mites. I would definitely do a mite check too.

It's a shame that they had to be requeened. Hygienic bees are good to have.

Quote Originally Posted by JStinson View Post
    There's no problem with that. It will definitely help them out.

As far as those drones on the outside of the hive. You might have bees that are showing some hygienic behavior. IE, they are removing pupae that have mites or some other issue. Check those drone pupae for mites. I would definitely do a mite check too.

It's a shame that they had to be requeened. Hygienic bees are good to have.
    Thanks again, I see no mite activity, I just figured the bees were happily queenright again and trying to make the hive right discarding the unneccessary drones. I have alot of miniature drones. anyway, they are feeding like crazy and the pollen flow is heavy. I think if I give em an extra frame they will be powerful, its my first year, my other hive is exploded, so I just want to get them both through the virginia winter. Thanks again G

Oh yeah, my new queen is hygenic. so the future, if I can get them through should be bright

Oh yeah, my new queen is hygenic. so the future, if I can get them through should be bright
    That's a good start, but don't rely on it. Hygienic bees do not necessarily equal mite resistant bees.

just a couple weeks ago I combined a LW hive with a queen right hive. she is running the show and I have noticed today they are dragging out larva and dumping it in front of the hive,. I assume its inferior drones layed by the LW. I have looked inside things are good. I shook the laying worker hive out in 4 different places around the yard hopeing the LW doesn't make it back .
    thats the way i roll.